Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Iowa Moms Iowa Moms

Favorite Vacation Spots

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:16 PM
  • 15 Replies

We are planning 2 mini vacations for our family this year, one to the Mall of America and one to the Omaha Zoo. I would like to start seeing the world starting with the states little by little. So, my question is...what are some of your favorite vacation spots? Are you and your family planning a vacation this year, if so, where? 

by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I enjoy Chicago for a weekend (mini vacation). We do a boat tour, then a segway tour around Lake Shore. Visit Wrigley Field and Soldier Field. And the museum. The last time we went a few years ago, they had the King Tut Exhibit. We will eat deep dish pizza and try to go during local festivals or street fairs. It is the perfect place for a few days.

I also like Vegas. And you can definitely take the kids to Vegas. There are so many fun things for the kids to do. If you drive, the Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam are great places to stop.

Melissa_anne
by Representative on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this

we have been on a couple of cruises and i love them.  we are booking one for 2014 also.  the reason i love cruises so much is because 1 they are cheap compaired to what you would actually have to pay for traveling that many places, 2 you get to visit 5 places in one trip, 3. they have so much to do on the ships.  My all time fav place that we traveled to on a cruise is Cozumel, Mexico.   They have alot of stuff to do there and plus they have this vanilla that i use to bake with and it's awesome. 

easinpc
by Emily on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this

The dinosaur exhibit that travels around is suppose to be at the Omaha Zoo this year.  My sons has seen it both in Des Moines and Minnesota and loved it and now the Omaha Zoo (which we normally go to anyway each year) is definately on the list of places to go this summer!

easinpc
by Emily on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh and this year my son and I are once again (gone the past 2 years too) planning on going to Minnesota for a week.  We rent a cabin and spend the week fishing, swimming, going to the zoo, going to the childrens museum, and going to the amusement park at the Mall of America. 

krn210
by Kristin on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:46 AM

We have seen the dinosaur exhibit while it was in Des Moines as well. :-) if you go every year I'm going to say its safe to assume the zoo in Omaha is worth it. :-) I'm excited to take the kids there. Do you stay the night when you go, or drive back? 

Quoting easinpc:

The dinosaur exhibit that travels around is suppose to be at the Omaha Zoo this year.  My sons has seen it both in Des Moines and Minnesota and loved it and now the Omaha Zoo (which we normally go to anyway each year) is definately on the list of places to go this summer!

easinpc
by Emily on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Lol well my son loves zoos.  We go to the one in Des Moines several times each summer, the one in Minnesota every summer (at least the past couple years), and the one in Omaha once a summer as well.  When we go to Omaha we leave early in the morning and get there right as they open and then spend most of the day there.  We usually leave the zoo around 5, get something to eat, and then head back home.  The one in Omaha is definately a lot bigger than the one here in Des Moines and has more hills too!  The one in Minnesota is probably my favorite though because of the Moose & Wolf exhibits :) 

Quoting krn210:

We have seen the dinosaur exhibit while it was in Des Moines as well. :-) if you go every year I'm going to say its safe to assume the zoo in Omaha is worth it. :-) I'm excited to take the kids there. Do you stay the night when you go, or drive back? 

Quoting easinpc:

krn210
by Kristin on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I have been to he zoo in Minnesota, but it was years ago before I had kids. :-) I have heard that there is a good one in Chicago too. 

Quoting easinpc:

Lol well my son loves zoos.  We go to the one in Des Moines several times each summer, the one in Minnesota every summer (at least the past couple years), and the one in Omaha once a summer as well.  When we go to Omaha we leave early in the morning and get there right as they open and then spend most of the day there.  We usually leave the zoo around 5, get something to eat, and then head back home.  The one in Omaha is definately a lot bigger than the one here in Des Moines and has more hills too!  The one in Minnesota is probably my favorite though because of the Moose & Wolf exhibits :) 

Quoting krn210:

Quoting easinpc:

krn210
by Kristin on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I love Chicago. :-)

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

I enjoy Chicago for a weekend (mini vacation). We do a boat tour, then a segway tour around Lake Shore. Visit Wrigley Field and Soldier Field. And the museum. The last time we went a few years ago, they had the King Tut Exhibit. We will eat deep dish pizza and try to go during local festivals or street fairs. It is the perfect place for a few days.

I also like Vegas. And you can definitely take the kids to Vegas. There are so many fun things for the kids to do. If you drive, the Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam are great places to stop.

krn210
by Kristin on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:48 AM

We've never been on a cruise. I'm not sure if I would like it or not. 

Quoting Melissa_anne:

we have been on a couple of cruises and i love them.  we are booking one for 2014 also.  the reason i love cruises so much is because 1 they are cheap compaired to what you would actually have to pay for traveling that many places, 2 you get to visit 5 places in one trip, 3. they have so much to do on the ships.  My all time fav place that we traveled to on a cruise is Cozumel, Mexico.   They have alot of stuff to do there and plus they have this vanilla that i use to bake with and it's awesome. 

meam4444
by Representative on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Oh so many places!!  I love to travel and have been to almost ever state.  My dh and I try to make it out to Europe at least once a year.  I also try to make it out to the East coast once or twice to visit close friends. And, we try to do something little with the kids...we are planning bigger trips for when they are a tad older.  Although, we are planning a florida trip and a nyc trip sometime too.  We go on mini-vacations to this water park hotel in owatonna, mn with friends and family occasionally too...and just for fun, when we visit my family in the twin cities, we do attractions up there (but I don't really consider that a vacation since we are up there every month at least a few times). 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN