Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Iowa Moms Iowa Moms

The Help discussion chapters 1-3

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:29 AM
  • 10 Replies

What is your first impression of the these chapters?

by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
easinpc
by Emily on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Haven't had a chance to read them yet but I will try to tonight and post then, but here's a bump for the post!

Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:04 PM
2 moms liked this

These are my thoughts on the characters so far.

I think Aibileen is a nuturer by nature. She loves the children she is raising, even knowing that in all likely hood they are going to grow up to treat her as a second class citizen. I think that Aibileen accepts her lot in life even though she knows it isnt right.

As for Minny, she is a pistol. She is a progressive woman in a time of oppression.

Hilly is simply a product of her time and environment. Her character is very true to the social  and financial elite of the that region and era.

Elizabeth is a weak social climbing follower who is trying to maintain Junior League appearances on a shoestring income.

Skeeter is an intelligent but repressed progressive trying to find her wings. Things that once may have been acceptable to her, she is now finding uncomfortable and wrong. 

Miss Walters is old and senile, so I make allowances for her.

The Home Health Sanitation Initiative drove me crazy as a modern woman, but placing myself in that time frame, it doesn't surprise me at all that such measures were drafted.

I really love this book. I have so much more to say, but limited time...lol

I'll be back when more people post about the first few chapters.  :)

meam4444
by Representative on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:11 PM

I love all the characters and how they all are on different planes and are distinct in their own way (Cafe Michelle nailed them!).  I remember the first time I read it, I wanted to just give Aibileen a big hug. 

Ferrari
by Felicia on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:47 PM

I totally agree. Cafe Michelle did an awesome job describing them!

Quoting meam4444:

I love all the characters and how they all are on different planes and are distinct in their own way (Cafe Michelle nailed them!).  I remember the first time I read it, I wanted to just give Aibileen a big hug. 

Ferrari
by Felicia on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Aibileen and Skeeter are by far my favorite characters so far. There's just this geniune kindness about Aibileen. Skeeter ... well she's what I hope I would be like in that time frame.

Its sad to realize how it was back then. It gets you really thinking. I just can never understand how anyone could think that another human was worth less as a person just because of race or color. It boggles my mind. 

Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:42 AM

What do you think of the Home Health Sanitation Initiative?

What do you  think about Skeeter?

What do you think Minny did to Hilly?

Any thoughts on Celia Foote and why the ladies are avoiding her?

Even though Mae Mobley has Aibileen to raise her, do you think she will still turn out like her mom and the rest of the Junior League ladies?

Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I agree. I think Aibileen is just an all around really good person.

Quoting Ferrari:

Aibileen and Skeeter are by far my favorite characters so far. There's just this geniune kindness about Aibileen. Skeeter ... well she's what I hope I would be like in that time frame.

Its sad to realize how it was back then. It gets you really thinking. I just can never understand how anyone could think that another human was worth less as a person just because of race or color. It boggles my mind. 

Ferrari
by Felicia on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Very good questions! Thanks for posting them. :-)

I will have to come back to answer them though since I'm only supposed to be on here for a few quick moments before getting up off my bum to get some stuff done lol 

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

What do you think of the Home Health Sanitation Initiative?

What do you  think about Skeeter?

What do you think Minny did to Hilly?

Any thoughts on Celia Foote and why the ladies are avoiding her?

Even though Mae Mobley has Aibileen to raise her, do you think she will still turn out like her mom and the rest of the Junior League ladies?

celestegood
by Representative on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Quoting easinpc:

Haven't had a chance to read them yet but I will try to tonight and post then, but here's a bump for the post!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meam4444
by Representative on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:01 AM

The home health sanitation...I totally could see something like that being.  I was just surprised they would want to spend extra money on it though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN