Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Iowa Moms Iowa Moms

What Things Do People Give Your Kids That You Hate?

Posted by on May. 15, 2013 at 11:31 AM
  • 4 Replies

7 Free Things People Give My Kids That I HATE

by Julie Ryan Evans

girl with stickersDoes it seem like everywhere you go these days, people want to give your kids something? From the bank to the grocery store, it seems someone is handing my kids something every time I turn around.

Oh, I know it's all well-intended, and much better than them being rude to my kids or even banning them altogether, it's just that ... I HATE all of this crap. It winds up left in my minivan, washed through my washer, or piled up somewhere in their bedrooms long after those first fleeting seconds of joy it brought.

I don't mean to be ungrateful. And yes, I could just decline their kindness, but that's easier said than done when the offer is made right in front of a toddler. Here are seven of the frequent freebies we get and why they irritate me so.

1. Stickers: Oh how I loathe those tempting little sticky shapes. Because besides all over our car's interior and the furniture, the only other place my kids stick them is on their clothing. Said clothing then goes through the washer and dryer, and I'm left with a mess.
  2. Lollipops: Sticky messes on sticks. They get stuck in hair, to car seats, and anywhere else you can imagine.
  3. Balloons: So bright, so cheery, so great for bopping your brother over the head and spilling drinks in restaurants in the process. Or, if they manage to behave themselves with them IN whatever establishment they were given, there's a good chance (better than 50/50) that they will be lost to the wind in the parking lot. Then there will be tears and promises of balloons the next time. Don't even get me started on the dangers of balloons to boot!
  4. Goodies Bags: We didn't have them when I was a kid, and we don't need them now that I have to pick up after my kids and am constantly tripping over little plastic knickknacks that came in these party must-haves. HATE them.
  5. Cookies: I would like to personally blast whoever came up with the idea that bakeries in grocery stores nationwide should give kids cookies just for the asking. Just what they need -- more sugar.
  6. Advice: This comes in the form of "Honey, tell your mommy to make sure she gets that hair out of your eyes" or "Tell mommy the doctor really should hear that cough." It doesn't make it any less rude when you tell me what to do through my kid.
  7. Tattoos: Cute in theory ... until you try and get them off. Once they start peeling off halfway, they start to resemble some strange skin condition.

What free things do people give your kids?

by on May. 15, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Ferrari
by Felicia on May. 15, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Stickers I don't mind, its candy. Or any other sugar treat as 1 of my kids seems to be sensitive to it.

meam4444
by Representative on May. 15, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Latex balloons always freak me out since they pop so easily and if a child gets a piece down their throat, it is almost impossible to get out of their throat since it clings to the side wall so easily.  A friend of mine who is a dr has told me a few scary stories about it, so they are banned from my house..or if they are brought into the house, they are confiscated pretty fast.  The kids all know the rules too.  Maybe I'm just being a crazy mom, but this is the last thing I would ever want to deal with.  Plus, my kids are little rebels and like to put everything in their mouths and pop everything too.  I am sure I will become more relaxed once they get older.

Melissa_anne
by Representative on May. 15, 2013 at 6:50 PM

nothing really.  i love the tattoos though, we got DD one of those sparkly tattoo kit things for christmas and it's pretty cool

Sweets32285
by Jen on May. 15, 2013 at 8:56 PM

None of those really bother me.  My kids would always get tattoos from the Children's Place.  Last summer my son had sleeves of fake tattoos.  I'm sure some parents thought I was just wonderful for letting him do it, but whatever, I guess he wants to be like me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)