Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nevada Moms Nevada Moms

Has the new health care law affected you?

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 9:58 AM
  • 18 Replies

The new health care law guarantees coverage for preventive care. Has this helped you?

by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 9:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Goofylife
by Member on Aug. 24, 2012 at 11:42 AM

I don't know.  What I do know is that the day after the Supreme Court upheld it, my husband's employer had a meeting with all employees and told them that their insurance was going up.  They are now deducting an additional $20.00 per week from his paycheck for a total of $139.00 a week.  I don't know if that's a coincidence or not.  

amyme63
by Member on Aug. 24, 2012 at 12:54 PM
So far nothing has changed for us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DixieL
by Dixie on Aug. 24, 2012 at 2:01 PM

When Obamacare comes into effect, it will help my husband. He doesn't have health care on his job.

JMKristy
by Kristy on Aug. 24, 2012 at 2:06 PM

No, it won't affect us.

JulieJacobKyle
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 2:40 PM

I didn't have to pay for my last pap, or my kids' physicals.

Momniscient
by Mandi on Aug. 24, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Yes. I own a business and we recently changed our group policy. With all the upheaval and uncertainty the Chamber of Commerce has really buckled in and tried to get competetive with their rates. Because we are a group with pre existing conditions the insurers in the past have max rated us.

That didn't happen when we switched after the health care law passed. We were not max rated because of the pre existing conditions and our premiums are significantly less.

Goofylife
by Member on Aug. 24, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Would you mind sharing who you got your insurance through?  I am self-employed but am insured through my husband; but my sister, who is also self-employed, has been having a really hard time finding insurance.  She's about given up and I can't believe there isn't something affordable out there for her.

Quoting Momniscient:

Yes. I own a business and we recently changed our group policy. With all the upheaval and uncertainty the Chamber of Commerce has really buckled in and tried to get competetive with their rates. Because we are a group with pre existing conditions the insurers in the past have max rated us.

That didn't happen when we switched after the health care law passed. We were not max rated because of the pre existing conditions and our premiums are significantly less.

Momniscient
by Mandi on Aug. 24, 2012 at 8:57 PM

The Chamber of Commerce. The only downside is that you have to join the chamber and pay their yearly dues. It was close to $600.

Quoting Goofylife:

Would you mind sharing who you got your insurance through?  I am self-employed but am insured through my husband; but my sister, who is also self-employed, has been having a really hard time finding insurance.  She's about given up and I can't believe there isn't something affordable out there for her.

Quoting Momniscient:

Goofylife
by Member on Aug. 24, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Thanks!  I'll let her know!

Quoting Momniscient:

The Chamber of Commerce. The only downside is that you have to join the chamber and pay their yearly dues. It was close to $600.

Quoting Goofylife:

Quoting Momniscient:

Momniscient
by Mandi on Aug. 24, 2012 at 9:02 PM

It's tough being self employed. If you don't have employees the Chamber may not be competitive (I don't know for sure) because group plans are always more affordable than individual plans. Maybe you two could find a group to get insurance together if you don't have employees?

Are you here in Vegas?

Quoting Goofylife:

Thanks!  I'll let her know!

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting Goofylife:

Quoting Momniscient:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN