Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nevada Moms Nevada Moms

The Military Vote

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 8:00 AM
  • 9 Replies

Every vote matters. However, Nevada Secretary of State Ross Miller is bringing special attention to the importance of the military vote by joining the Heroes Vote Initiative to promote National Voter Readiness Day. Although this day was observed on Sept. 15, 2012, it is not too late for military members and their families to register to vote in the November elections.

The deadline to register online for voting in the November election is Oct. 6, 2012. According to the Secretary of State's website, military members and U.S. citizens living overseas can obtain an absentee ballot by submitting a Federal Post Card Application (also known as an FPCA). Information on absentee ballots for military members can be found here: http://www.fvap.gov

The Election Center on the Secretary of State's website also provides information concerning military voting at www.nvsos.gov.

Sometimes voting can be complicated for military men and women because they often do not reside in the state where they are registered to vote. Deployment, frequent relocations, and other factors could discourage military members and their families from participating in elections, but there is information and assistance available for them to ensure that their voices are heard on Election Day.

For me, it's hard enough staying organized under normal circumstances. I'm glad there are resources available to help make sure our military men and women are able to vote.

What do you think? Have you ever voted absentee? Would you be more or less likely to vote if you couldn't do so in-person?

Image: © istockphoto.com/Kriss Russell

by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 8:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
LancesMom
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Honestly I think we need a whole new way to reach voters....

A full proof and fool proof way to vote electronically or via smart phones.

straightNnAERO
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 1:46 PM

I have never needed to vote absentee. I prefer to be there in person.

celestegood
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 2:13 PM
I have read that some countries do online voting....

Quoting LancesMom:

Honestly I think we need a whole new way to reach voters....

A full proof and fool proof way to vote electronically or via smart phones.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 2:13 PM
I prefer to be there in person as well.

Quoting straightNnAERO:

I have never needed to vote absentee. I prefer to be there in person.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 2:14 PM
I wonder, if our country had an online voting system, if more people would vote!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
I certainly don't think it would hurt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
1 mom liked this
Thanks for posting this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NV_Mom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 4:34 PM
I love to vote in person but my husband and I have both voted absentee while we were stationed overseas years ago.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DixieL
by Dixie on Sep. 20, 2012 at 4:40 PM

I like to vote in person. My husband like to vote early. I like to vote on the right day, so I can be part of history. Especially last time and this time. If I couldn't be there, I would vote absentee. I'll do whatever I have to too make sure my voice counts.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN