Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nevada Moms Nevada Moms

Does or Did Your Child Have a Boyfriend or Girlfriend in First Grade?

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:30 PM
  • 4 Replies

My 6-Year-Old Has a Girlfriend & I'm SO Not Ready for Her

Posted by Mary Fischer

boy in hat and sunglassesLast week, I had one of those moments in parenthood that pretty much every mom absolutely dreads. Yep, my 6-year-old son came home from school with a small piece of paper in his pocket, and lo and behold -- it had a little girl's name on it, along with her phone number.

And at first, I had to laugh a little, because he looked so darn precious when he handed me that piece of paper and told me that (we'll call her Sally) had given him her digits. I figured he'd probably forget all about Sally and her phone number by the next day -- but then the next morning, my heart sunk a little after he did the unthinkable.

Yep, he asked me to write his phone number down on a little piece of paper so he could take it to school and pass it on to Sally, you know, so they can both call each other whenever they feel like it. (Cue the feelings of sheer panic.)

And that's when I realized that my baby boy does, indeed, have his first girlfriend. Even though she really is a nice little girl, I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. I mean, isn't it way too early for this sort of thing? I vaguely remember having a crush on a boy when I was about his age, but I know for certain that we weren't to the point of calling each other on the phone.

No, I'm not entirely stupid, and I realize there's a chance that my little dude and Sally are just good buddies who want to chit-chat once in a while, but still. He doesn't call any of his other friends on the phone yet, so there must be some sort of puppy love going on with this little girl, right?

I know, I know -- I'm totally overreacting and whatever is going on between little dude and Sally is perfectly innocent and not worth getting all excited about. (At least he's outgoing?)

I guess I'm just not quite ready for Sally to be in the picture quite yet, that's all. (Translation -- I was hoping to remain his one and only love for at least another year or two.)

Does or did your son or daughter have a boyfriend or girlfriend in first grade?

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Dodie702
by Doriane on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:56 PM
Mine aren't in school yet. They are only 4 and 3.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DixieL
by Dixie on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:54 AM

My son had a little girlfriend when he was in the first grade. It was cute.

JulieJacobKyle
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:59 PM

My 7 year old is still in love with a girl from preschool.

Ambear72
by Amber on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:24 PM
My son did, he had her since pre school. Then he broke up with her because we moved and he didn't get to see her. Then in 2nd he had one all year long. They broke up cuz school was over for the summer. Right now he dosnt have one but he has a couple girls who like him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)