Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nevada Moms Nevada Moms

Should Sex Offenders Have To Make Themselves Known Beyond the Registry?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:18 PM
  • 7 Replies

Sex Offenders Now Required to Post Bright Red Signs in Their Yards -- About Time!

by Jeanne Sager

red front doorDo you know where the pedophiles are living in your neighborhood? What about your kids? Do you want them to know? What if you had no choice, because every sex offender in the neighborhood had a giant red sign planted in their front yard?

That's the new law in Bradford County, Florida, and I have to admit it sounds kind of ... awesome.

Controversial, yeah, but still ... awesome for busy moms like me. 

The truth is, as much as I try to keep up on the sex offender registry, I can't remember the last time I checked it. It was probably months ago, the last time someone said something on Facebook about this creep or that creep moving into the neighborhood.

Pedophiles are scary, but there are plenty of things that pose a much more immediate threat to our kids, things we need to stay on top of. The registry is a great tool for parents, but let's face it: we get busy. We don't have TIME to check it every darn day.

And yet, I want to know if they're out there. Don't you? They may not be the biggest threat to our kids, but it's well known that sex offenders do tend to re-offend.

I want to know if there are houses in the neighborhood I should keep my kid away from, just in case. If there are people I should keep an extra eye on at community events.

Big red signs in the front yard of dangerous offenders would be a huge help for busy moms who don't have time to hit the registry. They'd be a huge help for parents who don't have access to a registry (yes, in this day and age, there are still plenty of folks who have neither computer nor Internet access). They'd be a bright red warning sign to kids to remind them that Mommy said that's a yard that can swallow Frisbees and baseballs; she'll be happy to buy you a new one.

Now if only we could get signs for potential offenders, we'd really feel better about letting our kids wander the neighborhood.

Do you think these signs are good for families? Would they scare your kids?

by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
JulieJacobKyle
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 5:20 PM

I actually really like the idea of the signs.  

DixieL
by Dixie on Apr. 19, 2013 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't really think it's right, because there are mothers and fathers, who would take the law into their own hands and either hurt the person or even worse. I think parents should never stop telling their kids about strangers, and if they want to find out where the sex offenders are and they don't have a computer, they can always go to the library.

cagl84
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I am very against signs in the yard. They still have a right to privacy and personal safety.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrs.hartman12
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Its really easy to go to familywatchdog.com and see who lives in your area. I do know that in North Las Vegas anytime a sex offender moved into the apartments I managed the police department would post flyers door to door and gave on to the office. It was helpful for me because we did not allow sex offenders to move there and did background checks. 

Ambear72
by Amber on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:53 AM

This is a tough one.  I am more against it.  Maybe a sign or something that dosnt draw as much attention.  Like something in the window or something but not big bright red signs.

mrsladylala
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:48 PM

I think it's going a bit to far, you might as well brand them when they get outta jail!

kiriis
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:50 PM
1 mom liked this

They SHOULD be shot.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN