Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do?

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:06 PM
  • 4 Replies

Im not sure how many people in here know, that my husband has some health problems.  He has Epilepsy, and 2 really bad legs, one needs to be amputated.  He is waiting until next year to do that.  He has been off work for about 3 years now, and he is finally getting Social Security Disability benefits.  It just barely enough to live on.

Anyway here is my predicament,  I was working a part time job at the beginnin of the year.  I didnt mind only working a few hours a day, because I hate leaving my husband alone with the kids.  I never know when he will have seizure or what kind of seizure he will have.  I worked my last day April 15th because it was the end of tax season.  My kids were on Medicaid, and we were approved for foodstamps but didnt get money.  They said with me working I made about $200 to much for any help.  I thought they were meaning food help.  They meant medical to I guess, because as of the 1st of this month they took my kids of Medicaid.  I was getting Unemployment but the money ran out and now I am not getting anything. 

I could look for and get a job but if I do that I am afraid they wont let my little ones have insurance.  I can almost gaurentee that if I get a job it wont be on that offers Medical.  A lot of places here arent working people long enough hours to get insurance.  They only  have them work 30 hours instead of 40 so they dont have to get the employees insurance.

So do I get a job and live better, with less worry about bills and such or do I get a job and not have medical insurance for the kids?  I can only make about $300 a month before they say I make to much.  The letter said that because my husband is on SSD that we will always qualify for Foodstamps, but we wont get an awarded amount.  (So they can keep getting free lunch at school) 

We can survive on what we get from SSd but there isnt alot of money to do fun things with.  So WWYD????

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
DixieL
by Dixie on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Amber, is there anyway you can wait until Obamacare starts at the end of January and see what happens? It's suppose to cover all of us, and it can't turn you down, even if you have heart trouble or cancer. I know you are between a rock and a hard place. If there was anyway at all I could help you until then I would. See what other people say too. Someone might have a better idea than I do. My thoughts are with you. Good Luck.

btherese
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:31 AM

I don't know, things have changed since I was on assistance, being over 6 years ago. I will say that I admire your work ethic and your love and tenacity. I will pray that you get offered a job with good insurance. We don't have it now until hubby's at his job for a few more months. It was touch and go for a while, since he was looking for work but got no calls until he humbled himself in front of his old employer. Keep the faith, hon, miracles can still happen even today!

Ambear72
by Amber on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Awe thanks for the offer, very sweet of you.  I reapplied, and I was told they should have been offered Nevada Check Up, its a plan where I pay like $50 quarterly.  I could handle that.  But they were just taken off it.  Its crazy to say the least.  I am going to see how long I can go but its a huge struggle.  Nothing I havent been through before.  Thanks though.

Quoting DixieL:

Amber, is there anyway you can wait until Obamacare starts at the end of January and see what happens? It's suppose to cover all of us, and it can't turn you down, even if you have heart trouble or cancer. I know you are between a rock and a hard place. If there was anyway at all I could help you until then I would. See what other people say too. Someone might have a better idea than I do. My thoughts are with you. Good Luck.

Ambear72
by Amber on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:54 AM

I would be so very glad to get off assistance, but we still need it.  My kids esp my son is so accident prone.  He almost had his thumb bit off on March, and he had to be hospitalized for a night in July of 2011 because he got burns all over his legs from spilling super hot top ramen on himself.  I am terrified something will happen to one of the kids when they dont have insurance.  I already had to deal with having my gall bladder taken out when I didnt have insurance. I reapplied, and right now its just his income, so the kids should get it.  Thanks

Quoting btherese:

I don't know, things have changed since I was on assistance, being over 6 years ago. I will say that I admire your work ethic and your love and tenacity. I will pray that you get offered a job with good insurance. We don't have it now until hubby's at his job for a few more months. It was touch and go for a while, since he was looking for work but got no calls until he humbled himself in front of his old employer. Keep the faith, hon, miracles can still happen even today!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)