Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nevada Moms Nevada Moms

gun laws *not a debate* just a simple question

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 12:42 AM
  • 10 Replies
does anyone know if nv requires a ccw permit? dh bought a handgun...not too thrilled about it, so maybe im just trying to make excuses to get rid of it. i thought nv requries a ccw permit to carry, hes arguing nv is an open carry state. anyone know? or anyone know how i can find out?
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 12:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dodie702
by Doriane on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry I have no idea. Hopefully another NV mama will know the answer.
JulieJacobKyle
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Nevada is an open carry state.  You can carry a firearm in plain sight.  You need a permit to conceal carry.

DKk0531
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 1:36 PM
ok thank you!

Quoting JulieJacobKyle:

Nevada is an open carry state.  You can carry a firearm in plain sight.  You need a permit to conceal carry.

JulieJacobKyle
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 1:39 PM

No problem.  If you're uncomfortable with it, I would suggest taking it to the shooting park and practicing.  Load it, unload it, load it, shoot it, unload it.  Practice having it in your hands.  Even if you never use it, you should be comfortable handling it and be familiar with how it works.  It will make you feel better about having it in your home (obviously in a safe place that a child can't get to).

Quoting DKk0531:

ok thank you!

Quoting JulieJacobKyle:

Ambear72
by Amber on Jul. 22, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Yes what Julie said

Ambear72
by Amber on Jul. 22, 2013 at 5:20 PM

When hubby bought me my gun, we went to Cabelas.  They had me practice opening and closing the loading part of the gun.  My hubby wouldnt let me buy the gun until I was comfortable with it.  The sales guy was wonderful and really helped me out a lot.  He explained the gun to me, he told me the parts of the gun and showed me how to hold and shoot the gun.  I really recommend you get familiar with the gun and even try shooting it.  You will get more comfortable with the gun once you understand it and get to know it better.

DKk0531
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 5:20 PM
no im not nervous at all. i was in the navy lol, ive handled weapons alot. im more nervous about dh and his handling of it. he just isnt the safest person with anything and i dont want dd getting ahold of it because it was careless

Quoting JulieJacobKyle:

No problem.  If you're uncomfortable with it, I would suggest taking it to the shooting park and practicing.  Load it, unload it, load it, shoot it, unload it.  Practice having it in your hands.  Even if you never use it, you should be comfortable handling it and be familiar with how it works.  It will make you feel better about having it in your home (obviously in a safe place that a child can't get to).

Quoting DKk0531:

ok thank you!

Quoting JulieJacobKyle:

DKk0531
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 5:23 PM
im not nervous about weapons :) i was in the navy and have handled many weapons. im more worried about dh, he is careless and leaves things laying around, hammers, nails, all sorts of tools, knives, medications, im just thinking he isnt the best person to have a weapon, thats the only reason im nervous. thanks for the advice though, im sure ide go to the range and shoot at some point

Quoting Ambear72:

When hubby bought me my gun, we went to Cabelas.  They had me practice opening and closing the loading part of the gun.  My hubby wouldnt let me buy the gun until I was comfortable with it.  The sales guy was wonderful and really helped me out a lot.  He explained the gun to me, he told me the parts of the gun and showed me how to hold and shoot the gun.  I really recommend you get familiar with the gun and even try shooting it.  You will get more comfortable with the gun once you understand it and get to know it better.

Ambear72
by Amber on Jul. 22, 2013 at 5:29 PM
1 mom liked this

AWWW Gotcha!

I was very nervous about my kids getting ahold of the gun too.  I totally understand.  I got a gun safe that isnt really easy to get into.  Its not a number lock, its more of a 3 button combo thing. I would also have him take classes just so he can get more familiar with it.  Good Luck to you!

Quoting DKk0531:

im not nervous about weapons :) i was in the navy and have handled many weapons. im more worried about dh, he is careless and leaves things laying around, hammers, nails, all sorts of tools, knives, medications, im just thinking he isnt the best person to have a weapon, thats the only reason im nervous. thanks for the advice though, im sure ide go to the range and shoot at some point

Quoting Ambear72:

AngryBob
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 6:04 AM

the laws also vary by city, just so you're aware.

i don't know where you are, but in the city of las vegas, open carry is legal, but in the city of north las vegas, open carry is illegal. so you do have to be careful of where it is that you are carrying, and the boundaries of the city. (general you, of course.) you also cannot open carry in the city of henderson, so if you're driving all the way across town, you're in trouble lol. shoot, in north las vegas, if you have a gun, the ammo has to be separate and not accessible (ie, in the trunk.) it weird, but that's the law there.

dh and i are very pro-gun, but i would be LIVID if he bought a gun and didn't okay it with me first. same with a dog, a car, or anything else that ought to be discussed between partners. i think you have bigger problems than a gun in the home.

good luck, op. hope everything turns out okay.

Let the sisters take care of themselves, and make themselves beautiful, and if any of you are so superstitious and ignorant as to say that this is pride, I can say that you are not informed as to the pride which is sinful before the Lord. You are also ignorant as to the excellency of the heavens and the beauty which dwells in the society of the Gods. Were you to see an angel, you would see a beautiful and lovely creature. Make yourselves like angels in goodness and beauty. ~Brigham Young
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)