Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nevada Moms Nevada Moms

Celebrities and Stand Your Ground

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 3:29 PM
  • 3 Replies

I was reading last week, that Stevie Wonder has decided to boycott states, namely Florida, that have Stand Your Ground laws in effect in response to the Zimmerman trial. He said he would not perform in states that had that law. Reading online today, several more big acts to include Madonna, Jay Z, the Rolling Stones, Usher and Justin Timberlake to name a few  have decided to join this boycott (at least of Florida).

When Stevie Wonder announced this decision, it was during a concert he was performing. Do you think that performing artists should use a platform like a concert to talk about their politics?

Do you think that a boycott like this by celebrities is going to effect changes in the laws? 

by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 3:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
mama2beautiesnb
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 3:32 PM
Im just glad to know who i need to stop paying attention to. Im an oklahoman who has no wanting of losing our make my day law.
DixieL
by Dixie on Jul. 23, 2013 at 7:42 PM

I don't think it will change anything, but I really believe in what they are doing. After what happened I'm totally against Stand your Ground. People won't be safe in those states. I shouldn't say this, but maybe someone will see Zimmerman outside and they will shoot him. They can defineately say, they were afraid of him.

Ambear72
by Amber on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:49 AM

Wow thats a toughy.  I really dont think they should discuss stuff like that at a concert, people dont go to hear that kind of thing, they go to hear music.  It could work, but I dont really know.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)