Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nevada Moms Nevada Moms

Separation Anxiety

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 4:08 PM
  • 0 Replies

I'm writing because I could use a little bit of advice. My 8 year old appears to be suffering from severe separation anxiety. I thought this wasn't possible for his age. Don't most kids outgrow this by preschool? Anyway, he's been describing symptoms similar to having panic attacks and I'm getting worried.

There has been a bit of an upheaval in our home recently. I'm returning to work after several years of being a stay-at-home mom. He's been switched from home school to charter school. Also, his dad is around a lot less because he's working 2 jobs now. We've been relying on his older siblings (both teens) to keep him company when we're gone.

He's extremely clingy whenever I'm at home. He follows me around everywhere asking for constant reassurance. He won't go to the bathroom without leaving the door open and having me stand outside the door in the hallway. If I don't happen to be around when he needs to go, he'll resort to "having an accident" instead. He won't stay in his bed overnight. I almost always find him near me in the morning.

Every morning before school is met with temper tantrums reminicent of the terrible 2s. He refuses to cooperate with me when it's time to leave for school and we're often late. I'm in danger of losing my patience with him. He doesn't seem to understand that parents need to go to work and children need to go to school. I am at a loss as to what I should do.

Should I bring up this concern with his pediatrician?

butterfly

Thou art thy mother's glass, and she in thee
Calls back the lovely April of her prime.
~William Shakespeare

by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 4:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN