Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Virginia Moms Virginia Moms

What do you think about this?

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 4:54 PM
  • 4 Replies

I'm taking Developmental Psychology class right now. In one of the chapters it was discussing how some doctors and psychologist think that we should up the age of what is considered an adult.

Right now the age is 18 and they believe it should be changed to 25. There would be no changes legally but in your medical records you wouldn't be considered an adult until you turned 25.

What do you ladies think of this? And how many of you would still be considered a minor according to these doctors?

Join us in the Virginia Moms group!

by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 4:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Xat
by Amanda on Sep. 10, 2012 at 4:56 PM

I don't see the point in raising the age. I know people that are older than 25 and I would consider more irresponsible than some of the people that I know that are only 20.

I am 27 so it wouldn't effect me at all, I would still be considered an adult.

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Sep. 10, 2012 at 5:55 PM

I would like to see it changed.

Especially in this time the age of 18 gives many rights that most at that age are not prepared for in life, and atleast by 25 most people are.

Their was a discussion on NPR about a girl who was doing life in prison for commiting a murde in what would have been self defense. She was still a child when she did this crime but psychologist was saying she did not have the understanding of murder at the age when the crime was committed and that our brains have not fully developed in all areas until around 25.

sleepy_in_va
by Samantha on Sep. 10, 2012 at 7:49 PM

that is interesting...I'd still be considered a minor. I am only turning 24 in November.

egyptian_mommy
by Michelle on Sep. 10, 2012 at 8:23 PM
Hmm... Idk. People are so different it's really hard to say. Some people are mature at 18 and some are still pretty immature at 50.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN