Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Virginia Moms Virginia Moms

Virginia's obesity rate could reach 50% of population by 2030!

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:00 AM
  • 5 Replies

I was astounded to find out that the current obesity rate in VIrginia is at 29.2% of the adults living here in 2011...just astounded. That's 1/3 of our state's population folks! According to the report put out, if we continue on this trajectory we will hit a 50% obesity rate by 2030. 

Shut. the. Front. Door. 

I don't think it's hard to realize that with all of that in mind, our state will be seeing higher medical needs as well as a higher rate of deaths due to coronary problems, diabetes and more. 

Something needs to change...we need to encourage one another to get off of our computers (me included!) and get active and healthy. We need to turn this proverbial boat around because we deserve to live full lives and be around longer for our children. 

Some ways that our family tries to work on this - although admittedly, we're not as consistent as we need to be, is to do the following:

• We are mindful of portions and what we put on our plate.
  • Our kids receive a fruit and vegetable with every meal, we however, need to ensure we are doing that. 
  • When choosing vegetables we try to make for those high in fiber and nutrient choices. For example, instead of using iceburg lettuce, which is essentially a filler, we opt for spinach leaf lettuce allowing more "bang for our buck" when having a salad. 
  • We add fish into our diet a 2-3 times a week. A great way we do this is by picking up frozen fish from some of our favorite organic stores which seem to have better tasting products allowing for a quick last minute meal. 
  • We try to fit in 30 minutes of exercise several times a week and keep our kids active by being outdoors or through participation in active extracurriculars. 

We are far from fabulous on the healthy front - a work in progress for sure, but these statistics are definitely a wake-up call and a push for being more consistent. 

How are you working to ensure your family is as healthy as possible? Are you shocked by these statistics? 

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
SabrinaLC
by Sabrina on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:21 AM
1 mom liked this

I am not shocked at all by this.  My family is probably 75% or more obese.  Okay, honestly, it's probably closer to 80%-90% of them.  This saddens me.

I do so much to take care of myself and to keep myself at a healthy weight.  This doesn't come easy to me like some people may think.  My healthy weight worries my family.  I have no idea why they are so concerned about my health, when they are the ones having heart attacks, pushing 400lbs, high cholesterol, etc.  

My family eats a vegan diet, about 75% of our food is made from scratch.  My husband and I workout at least 3 days a week (I workout 6 days).  Our children aren't totally active but they're not lazy either.  Our health is our number 1 priority!

I also try to do what I can to help anyone else who is interested in eating healthy.  

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:57 AM

We try to eat healthy,be active and learn more about what we should be doing to make these issues our daily habits.

MaMaLaLa369
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:56 AM

starting when my FIL had his first heart attack a few years ago, i started to cut back on sodium in our food. i always tried to keep stuff low-fat as well. since i got pregnant the first time, it's been my mission to make sure my kids don't end up with health issues liek half our family has, including diabetes and heart disease. we try to limit processed foods, so i make a lot of stuff from scratch- there is no greater compliment than to hear your babies tell you that you make the best, most perfect foods ever :) they love to help me make soem of the foods we eat, and i can talk to them about how the different ingredients help their bodies grow.      

egyptian_mommy
by Michelle on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:57 PM
Seeing it put into numbers like that made me think "Wow!". But the more I thought about it, it's really not surprising. One thing that doesn't help is the cost of food. I know, some people will say that healthy food doesn't cost anymore than junk food. But, that isn't always true, especially when it comes to produce and other 'healthy' things. Let's look at milk vs. soda for example. A gallon of milk is anywhere up to about $4 but let's use $3.69 because that's what I recently paid. Now if you venture down the soda aisle, you'll find 2 liters as low as $1. Big difference.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Its a lesson for us all, if the healthier foods cost more, its better to pay more to eat better foods, so our bodies remain healthy, than later have to pay higher costs to maintain a body thats falling apart cause it was not taken care of. 

Quoting egyptian_mommy:

Seeing it put into numbers like that made me think "Wow!". But the more I thought about it, it's really not surprising. One thing that doesn't help is the cost of food. I know, some people will say that healthy food doesn't cost anymore than junk food. But, that isn't always true, especially when it comes to produce and other 'healthy' things. Let's look at milk vs. soda for example. A gallon of milk is anywhere up to about $4 but let's use $3.69 because that's what I recently paid. Now if you venture down the soda aisle, you'll find 2 liters as low as $1. Big difference.

Join us in the Virginia Moms group!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)