Virginia's obesity rate could reach 50% of population by 2030!
I was astounded to find out that the current obesity rate in VIrginia is at 29.2% of the adults living here in 2011...just astounded. That's 1/3 of our state's population folks! According to the report put out, if we continue on this trajectory we will hit a 50% obesity rate by 2030.
Shut. the. Front. Door.
I don't think it's hard to realize that with all of that in mind, our state will be seeing higher medical needs as well as a higher rate of deaths due to coronary problems, diabetes and more.
Something needs to change...we need to encourage one another to get off of our computers (me included!) and get active and healthy. We need to turn this proverbial boat around because we deserve to live full lives and be around longer for our children.
Some ways that our family tries to work on this - although admittedly, we're not as consistent as we need to be, is to do the following:
- We are mindful of portions and what we put on our plate.
- Our kids receive a fruit and vegetable with every meal, we however, need to ensure we are doing that.
- When choosing vegetables we try to make for those high in fiber and nutrient choices. For example, instead of using iceburg lettuce, which is essentially a filler, we opt for spinach leaf lettuce allowing more "bang for our buck" when having a salad.
- We add fish into our diet a 2-3 times a week. A great way we do this is by picking up frozen fish from some of our favorite organic stores which seem to have better tasting products allowing for a quick last minute meal.
- We try to fit in 30 minutes of exercise several times a week and keep our kids active by being outdoors or through participation in active extracurriculars.
We are far from fabulous on the healthy front - a work in progress for sure, but these statistics are definitely a wake-up call and a push for being more consistent.
How are you working to ensure your family is as healthy as possible? Are you shocked by these statistics?