Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Virginia Moms Virginia Moms

Cutting military spending

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:17 PM
  • 44 Replies
What is the advantage to cutting military spending? Other than saving money which is a given. Where would we cut from if we cut it?
I heard talk of it last night in the debates and just don't get it I guess. The military provides lots of jobs, gives our country security and provides education for many. If we cut spending to the military wouldn't we be cutting into jobs and education?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
egyptian_mommy
by Michelle on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:29 PM
Hmm. Idk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Not sure but I was thinking it would be cut out of those who have served their time and are ready to go to retirement. 

Xat
by Amanda on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:35 AM
I have no idea.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SabrinaLC
by Sabrina on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:47 AM

so much  money goes into military and I personally feel that money would be better being used someplace else.

Rach0307
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:28 PM
It's hurting our military big time. With all of the cutbacks we've had already, people are being forced out before they can retire, making room for more young guys at a lower pay. Training has suffered, so basically, we are leaving our country's security in the hands of 18 year old community college rejects with little common sense. Wonder why more military members have gotten nabbed for drugs lately? Or why many hate their job? It's because the government can spend less on those with no skills who had no other options but to join the military. Those are the kinds of people the government has been reduced to hiring. Our ships are suffering; we can't afford repairs on nuclear powered carriers, so that will not end well when a meltdown occurs during a mission (which is only a matter of time). In many commands, it's been reduced to a popularity contest whether or not someone gets a good enough evaluation to be able reenlist because they're being told that they need to skim down on certain rates/ranks. People who have put 15+ years of their lives into their service are being denied the ability to retire. Essential personnel with real skills are becoming too exensive. Our veterans are losing funding to hospitals and other programs. Pretty soon, servicemembers will have less benefits while still being paid dirt (the benefits have always been the only thing that makes the crap pay worth it). The list goes on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2ljh
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:31 PM
The military is all ready so underfunded and they keep cutting budgets but piling more expectations on our service members. *sarcasm font* The best thing we can do is take their retirement away. Sounds brilliant. */sarcasm font*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rach0307
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:35 PM
Oh, I almost forgot, there are also the civilian contractors losing their jobs... it's not just affecting service members :/ It really reverberates to other areas. Living in Hampton Roads, I see the DOD cutbacks firsthand, and this "once prosperous" area is slowly going down the tubes, and if coal also gets cut along with more military cuts, Virginia is going to become a very sad state to live in :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
asaffell
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Vet spending is separate from DoD spending. Cutbacks are happening as a result of the big recruitment surge that occurred years ago. That's why there are idiots with felonies in the military. 

We can afford these things - the issue is not that the military isn't getting enough funding. It's that MOST of the funds are being appropriated to pet projects and contractors.

Quoting Rach0307:

It's hurting our military big time. With all of the cutbacks we've had already, people are being forced out before they can retire, making room for more young guys at a lower pay. Training has suffered, so basically, we are leaving our country's security in the hands of 18 year old community college rejects with little common sense. Wonder why more military members have gotten nabbed for drugs lately? Or why many hate their job? It's because the government can spend less on those with no skills who had no other options but to join the military. Those are the kinds of people the government has been reduced to hiring. Our ships are suffering; we can't afford repairs on nuclear powered carriers, so that will not end well when a meltdown occurs during a mission (which is only a matter of time). In many commands, it's been reduced to a popularity contest whether or not someone gets a good enough evaluation to be able reenlist because they're being told that they need to skim down on certain rates/ranks. People who have put 15+ years of their lives into their service are being denied the ability to retire. Essential personnel with real skills are becoming too exensive. Our veterans are losing funding to hospitals and other programs. Pretty soon, servicemembers will have less benefits while still being paid dirt (the benefits have always been the only thing that makes the crap pay worth it). The list goes on.

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Like in Education, more pay for teachers, advancing math, science and technology programs.

Quoting SabrinaLC:

so much  money goes into military and I personally feel that money would be better being used someplace else.

Join us in the Virginia Moms group!

on_the_beach
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Quoting SabrinaLC:

So the safety of you and your family aren't worth the money spent?

I'm not saying that there isn't something that can be cut but usually when cuts are made it amounts to more people losing jobs. 

I guess I don't understand how the safety of our country who just came under attack again on 9/11 through our embassies isn't worth the money spent. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)