Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Virginia Moms Virginia Moms

Cutting military spending

Posted by   + Show Post
What is the advantage to cutting military spending? Other than saving money which is a given. Where would we cut from if we cut it?
I heard talk of it last night in the debates and just don't get it I guess. The military provides lots of jobs, gives our country security and provides education for many. If we cut spending to the military wouldn't we be cutting into jobs and education?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:17 PM
Replies (41-44):
DvlDogWfe
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 3:39 PM
Wow...I never accused you personally. Yes, I will take my one child and be happy for I already know that by having more I will more than likely be hurting as you are. I dont need you to tell me that, Im already smart enough to stop making babies while Im ahead. Stop throwing yourself a pity party...you choose to have a bigger family in this economy, good for you. I'm not sorry for anything I stated as I have seen it first hand. Again, I never personally attacked you, if you re read what I wrote, I wrote a generalization. Stop thinking everything is about you.

Quoting talisha32:

Good for you BUT my family size DOES leave us at poverty level!  So take your 1 kid and be happy!!!  I do not buy any of the things mentioned below!  NONE!!!!!  I coupon and work to save money for MY family!  A single person or small family can make it just fine in the military.  AND I never said I was ungrateful for my husbands work!  You are very judgemental to assume I live to those means if I can not support my family.  We have NEVER rec'd any assistance from the government.  I am simply stating that I do not think military families should have pay cuts!  Don't act like you know me cause you are far from MY lifestyle!  I worked 80 + hours a week to support myself for 3 years so I know what a work ethic is!   I am simply stating the facts.  Look at the pay to poverty ratios put forth by most public health offices.  Military qualify for most!  I am sorry for you. Wait til your family size grows even by 1!   So stay on your high horse and don't judge unless you are in MY shoes!  If you have so much money flying around, donate to the USO or YMCA so the rest of us can see how wealthy you are.

Quoting DvlDogWfe:

We are a military family and I honestly get soooo sick and tired of the complaining about what shit pay the miltary gets. Military pay is NOT poverty level. The pay is not over the top by any means, but it is not poor pay either. I am now a SAHM to our one child and we make it just fine. The secret? LIVE WITHIN YOUR MEANS! Here's a couple tips: Stop buying that new Coach or Dooney bag, do you really need that new, upgrade to an IPHONE that costs $200+? What about that fancy IPAD or any of the new technolgy gadgets that everyone thinks they need to survive? Oh, can't forget those Jimmy Choos or name brand clothing to compete with the next spouse in line. How about that new ring, necklace set? Can't live without those either. Stop eating out all the time and cook a meal at home, saves money even with leftovers, and the biggest problem? Stop having babies unless you can afford to have them. Yes, they are free to birth through the military, but the payout stops there. It's up to you to feed and clothe them after. I"m sorry if I have offended anyone, but it really gets to me when military spouse cry and whine about the pay and I see them living the lifestyle I just explained. Like I said, the military is not paid poorly, it's all in how you live with that pay you receive. Count yourselves lucky your spouse has a paycheck coming the 1st and 15th each month and you receive medical benefits to boot. I have been there where I was working minimum wage and NO benefits, working hard to ensure I kept my job through lay offs and cutbacks. I know what a struggle I had before and the military is no struggle.

Quoting talisha32:

Apparently none of you are a military family!  We struggle every month to just make ends meet and have gone way into debt just to survive!  The average military pay still leaves the family in poverty levels!  I am proud of what my husband and others like him do!  I will gladly let anyone of you send yourself or your loved one away in my husbands place just once!  I agree with the previous post....cut politician pay!  For cryin out loud look at the dollars raised to campain alone!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
talisha32
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 6:22 PM

To Quote me IS putting me in that group.  Again, you don't know me and by no means am I pitiful or throwing a party for it!  I just stated that military pay doesn't need cut.  If you want your pay check cut, then go for it.  If you want to be "generalized" don't quote someone!

Quoting DvlDogWfe:

Wow...I never accused you personally. Yes, I will take my one child and be happy for I already know that by having more I will more than likely be hurting as you are. I dont need you to tell me that, Im already smart enough to stop making babies while Im ahead. Stop throwing yourself a pity party...you choose to have a bigger family in this economy, good for you. I'm not sorry for anything I stated as I have seen it first hand. Again, I never personally attacked you, if you re read what I wrote, I wrote a generalization. Stop thinking everything is about you.

Quoting talisha32:

Good for you BUT my family size DOES leave us at poverty level!  So take your 1 kid and be happy!!!  I do not buy any of the things mentioned below!  NONE!!!!!  I coupon and work to save money for MY family!  A single person or small family can make it just fine in the military.  AND I never said I was ungrateful for my husbands work!  You are very judgemental to assume I live to those means if I can not support my family.  We have NEVER rec'd any assistance from the government.  I am simply stating that I do not think military families should have pay cuts!  Don't act like you know me cause you are far from MY lifestyle!  I worked 80 + hours a week to support myself for 3 years so I know what a work ethic is!   I am simply stating the facts.  Look at the pay to poverty ratios put forth by most public health offices.  Military qualify for most!  I am sorry for you. Wait til your family size grows even by 1!   So stay on your high horse and don't judge unless you are in MY shoes!  If you have so much money flying around, donate to the USO or YMCA so the rest of us can see how wealthy you are.

Quoting DvlDogWfe:

We are a military family and I honestly get soooo sick and tired of the complaining about what shit pay the miltary gets. Military pay is NOT poverty level. The pay is not over the top by any means, but it is not poor pay either. I am now a SAHM to our one child and we make it just fine. The secret? LIVE WITHIN YOUR MEANS! Here's a couple tips: Stop buying that new Coach or Dooney bag, do you really need that new, upgrade to an IPHONE that costs $200+? What about that fancy IPAD or any of the new technolgy gadgets that everyone thinks they need to survive? Oh, can't forget those Jimmy Choos or name brand clothing to compete with the next spouse in line. How about that new ring, necklace set? Can't live without those either. Stop eating out all the time and cook a meal at home, saves money even with leftovers, and the biggest problem? Stop having babies unless you can afford to have them. Yes, they are free to birth through the military, but the payout stops there. It's up to you to feed and clothe them after. I"m sorry if I have offended anyone, but it really gets to me when military spouse cry and whine about the pay and I see them living the lifestyle I just explained. Like I said, the military is not paid poorly, it's all in how you live with that pay you receive. Count yourselves lucky your spouse has a paycheck coming the 1st and 15th each month and you receive medical benefits to boot. I have been there where I was working minimum wage and NO benefits, working hard to ensure I kept my job through lay offs and cutbacks. I know what a struggle I had before and the military is no struggle.

Quoting talisha32:

Apparently none of you are a military family!  We struggle every month to just make ends meet and have gone way into debt just to survive!  The average military pay still leaves the family in poverty levels!  I am proud of what my husband and others like him do!  I will gladly let anyone of you send yourself or your loved one away in my husbands place just once!  I agree with the previous post....cut politician pay!  For cryin out loud look at the dollars raised to campain alone!

garjain
by garjain on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Quoting on_the_beach:

Quoting SabrinaLC:

so much  money goes into military and I personally feel that money would be better being used someplace else.

So the safety of you and your family aren't worth the money spent?

I'm not saying that there isn't something that can be cut but usually when cuts are made it amounts to more people losing jobs. 

I guess I don't understand how the safety of our country who just came under attack again on 9/11 through our embassies isn't worth the money spent. 

I understand the safety should come first and foremost. I don't know much about military or the expenditure. But what I have seen with the military people & their families around my neighborhood and in my son's preschool & school is the way they like to live & spend. They all have single family houses (they can't think of living in a smaller homes) and the area we live in is not cheap. I understand they get allowance for housing. There kids will go for most of the different after school classes which most of us can't afford. Most of the people in our neighborhood they took retirement around 20 years (and as they started early in military, they were still fairly young when they retire) they retired with full benefits and then they got good 2nd jobs. So as such they have 2 salaries and a comfy life.
I'm not saying that the money should be cut off from where it's really needed, but there are some places where the money can be taken off. But as I said I don't know much about the military so I may be wrong.

talisha32
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 1:39 AM
1 mom liked this

You don't know a thing about the military.  Did you ever think that we choose to live in single family homes because we are in dual + homes for most of our careers??   We have neighbors who are loud, rude, and change every few months.  I can't wait for the day we can have our own home without neighbor walls on either side!  How about we want our kids to have better than they did when we were enlisted because they were jerked around every 3 to 4 years alot of times in areas where schools aren't great. 

Why shouldn't they retire at 20 years with full benefits!  Alot of companies have retirement at 20 years.  They don't keep housing allowance once retired though.  They rec' a portion of their pay plus benefits.  Not housing.   If they choose to use their pay to cover housing, that is up to them.  That is why most have to take another job afterwards. 

Have you or your spouse ever been deployed or shot at to defend a country of people like you who don't think they deserve it?  I think that reason alone should grant them more.  I understand that military life if a choice and I really am grateful for my husbands job, but really think before you talk.  Losing your spouse to war and deployments is hard on everybody and worth more than they will ever get paid.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)