Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Virginia Moms Virginia Moms

The Romneys in VA today-Is foreign policy a big concern this election?

Posted by   + Show Post

Who do you support when it comes to foreign policy? Is foreign policy one of your top concerns for this election?

Quote: washingtonpost.com

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — Every aspiring president must pass the commander-in-chief test, and that examination has not always been kind to Mitt Romney.

The former CEO, in his comfort zone when focused on the economy, has stumbled during his occasional forays into foreign policy. He offended his British hosts and Palestinian leaders during an overseas trip in July, failed to mention Afghanistan in his acceptance speech at the Republican National Convention, and was roundly criticized for the timing of his assault on President Obama’s handling of violence in Libya.

But with the president now potentially vulnerable on issues such as Libya and U.S.-Israeli relations, the Romney campaign senses an opportunity to reshape an issue long seen as an Obama strength. Romney will give a major foreign policy address Monday in Virginia that aides said would advocate a “peace through strength” approach abroad and attack Obama’s leadership as weak, themes that Romney has been trying to push for months.

In excerpts of his speech released Sunday, Romney says, “It is time to change course in the Middle East.” He says he knows “the President hopes for a safer, freer, and a more prosperous Middle East allied with the United States. I share this hope. But hope is not a strategy. We cannot support our friends and defeat our enemies in the Middle East when our words are not backed up by deeds.”

The speech at Virginia Military Institute in Lexington will thrust foreign policy even more into the center of a campaign that until recently had been almost entirely about the economy. And that focus is expected to intensify as the two candidates debate foreign policy during their last one-on-one encounter, on Oct. 22.

Amid increasing questions about the Obama administration’s handling of the violence in Libya that killed four Americans — and with Romney gaining momentum from his widely praised performance in last week’s first debate — some experts think the speech is well-timed. Though Obama has consistently outpolled Romney on foreign affairs, that advantage has diminished. A Washington Post-ABC News poll conducted just before the first debate showed Obama with a five-point edge in who is more trusted to handle international concerns, down from the president’s double-digit advantage earlier in the year.

“It’s understandable why he’s doing it now,” said David Rothkopf, a former senior Clinton administration official who is chief executive of Foreign Policy magazine. “The administration, which two to three months ago seemed unassailable on foreign policy and national security issues, now looks much more vulnerable because of what happened in Libya, because the entire Middle East is a mess, because of tensions between Obama and [Israeli leader Benjamin] Netanyahu.”

The Obama campaign, citing foreign policy achievements including the killing of Osama bin Laden and the U.S. military withdrawal from Iraq, is undeterred. Campaign officials have accused Romney of flip-flopping on the U.S. mission in Libya and troop withdrawals from Afghanistan, and have pointed out that on some issues, such as the Iranian nuclear program, Romney has outlined positions similar to Obama’s. They also say most people don’t vote based on foreign policy, though it may be seen more broadly as part of a leadership test.

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:22 AM
Replies (11-20):
mrsjonzy
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 4:19 PM
5 moms liked this
Foreign policy is THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN A PRESIDENT! We can fix whatever goes down within our boarders, we have total and complete control of that. However we don't have total and complete control over who declares war on us, attacks us, doesn't trade with us, doesn't buy out debt, ect ect. How we deal with other counties is the single most important thing when it comes to our country's survival. Obama is botching it, Romney won't be as bad but still not very good either. Please understand the importance, as everyday there are more people that want to kill you because of what your presidents have done, and everyday those that stand between them and you are getting smaller and weaker thanks to Obama. Remeber that when you vote. The time for peace and talking it out has passed we've made too many people angry, our best defense is a better offense. Without it it's your neck they're coming after.
Felicity532
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 4:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I am unclear how you think Obama is botching it.

During the last 4 years I have felt safe in this country.

Quoting mrsjonzy:

Foreign policy is THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN A PRESIDENT! We can fix whatever goes down within our boarders, we have total and complete control of that. However we don't have total and complete control over who declares war on us, attacks us, doesn't trade with us, doesn't buy out debt, ect ect. How we deal with other counties is the single most important thing when it comes to our country's survival. Obama is botching it, Romney won't be as bad but still not very good either. Please understand the importance, as everyday there are more people that want to kill you because of what your presidents have done, and everyday those that stand between them and you are getting smaller and weaker thanks to Obama. Remeber that when you vote. The time for peace and talking it out has passed we've made too many people angry, our best defense is a better offense. Without it it's your neck they're coming after.

mrsjonzy
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 4:40 PM
5 moms liked this
Quoting Felicity532:

Underfunding, under training troops, sending money to the same people were sending our troops to fight. Not recognizing the role of the Koran in foreign policy. Spending billions supporting countries that capture and use child soldier. Calling the press before the seal team was even out of the bin laden raid, endangering everyone. The middle finger to the Middle East via Isreal. Iran said if Isreal attacks us or tries to hinder our nuclear program in anyway we are going to take that a as personal attack by the USA. Then next day Obama sent them the supplies needed and the go ahead to attack. The fact that he's still supporting an effort in afganistan where there aren't bough enou literate people to so tell the country. Blocking anything that would reasonably cut the defense budget with crippling it. I could go on for years.

And just because you feel safe doesn't mean you are. In fact the United States can't even defend its airspace, come this winter it can't defend it's coast. Come this decade there won't be enough eligible candidates for military service due to poor education or physical health. We have been constantly infiltrated by other countries looking to gain military advantage. You may feel safer but I promise you you aren't. On top of that all the dudes that will get in the shit for you and make sure that the fight stays somewhere else; have no arms or legs or are paralyzed by PTSD, trivially charged for actions during war or dead. We are too soft of those that we are asking to shoot people in the face and be present as their best friends cry for their moms with this last breathes. Remember that someone has to have that job, and if yo don't want it to be you vote carefully.
tangerine6392
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:18 PM
2 moms liked this
Totally agree. My husband is in the military, and the last thing I want is for him to be sent to Iran or Libya. He's already been to Afghanistan. I also can't stand that Romney opposed bringing our troops home from Iraq/Afghanistan. The wars cost this country too many lives and too much money.

Quoting mom_to_travis:

I think foreign policy is always an important issue.  romney in charge of our foreign affairs is a scary thought indeed.  His foreign policy speech was nothing more than an attack on Obama, with no specifics whatsoever about what he would do.  VAGUE.  If we only have his numerous bungled foreign policy experiences thus far to go on, I certainly wouldn't support him.

TinaNicu
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:09 PM
Agree 100% with msjonsy
Redwall
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Ron Paul.

paulawoods
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:41 PM
6 moms liked this

How many lies does Obama need to tell? How many of our rights does he need to take? How many Americans need to die on American soil before Americans wake up?Yes it is a proven fact he knew well in advance about what happened in Libya. How many of our jobs does Obama need to give other countries? He won't let us drill for our own oil but allows communist countries to do deep drilling of our oil and then we buy our oil at 3 times the cost. How many vacations does Obama and his family need to take on our dime? The trip to Africa that Michelle took she listed her daughters as Sr. Consultants so they would be paid with our tax money. How many close friends and family members does she need to take with her on our tax dime. Times are tough and most families can not afford vacations for their families. Obama and his family have taken lots of vacations on our tax dime. His foreign policy is to apologize for our country? Really he makes enemies of our friends and friends with our enemies, something just does not add up here. How could any thinking logical voter ever vote for Obama? He is so anti American it is unreal. If you remember during his first election he made the promise he would not run again if he did not do a good job as President.Well he did a horrible job as president - where is the transparency he promised? Where are any of the promises he made? Ask yourself why are all of his records sealed? What is he hiding?  Obama is doing his best to divide the races. The DOJ said they will not go after any black against white complaint but if it is white against black complaint they will definitely go against the white doing the crime. What is right about this?? I thought we were supposed to be one nation not two separate nations.

Come on American voters wake up! Obama is loved by communist dictators. Stop and ask yourself why? I fear what will happen to this Great Nation if Obama is reelected. We need as a nation to have Romney/Ryan as the next President/Vice President of these United States!

mrs.hartman12
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:19 PM
5 moms liked this

OK have ANY of you Obama supporters watched what is going on in the middle east? The president was warned of 9/11 attack threats and had our Marines who were protecting the embassy, doing so with guns that did not have live amunition. Our Abassador was beat, torchured, raped and they dragged him through the streets. Then they president had the audacity to blame it on a video that no one had even heard of until that day, when it turns out, and FOX news was already reporting this, that they governement was notified in the first 24 hours that is was a preplanned terrorist attack. Our president apologizes to the Muslim Brotherhood, refuses to meet with Isreals Prime Minister. Oh by the way it was reported last night that more terrorist attacks have been threatened.

Insert sarcarsm, yeah Nobama has done a fabulous job with all the cover ups. These things are boiling over and cover up after cover up is being exposed.

I don't know how Romney would do with foreign affairs as I am not privy to a crystal ball. What I do know is Obama is failing our allies, bowing down to our enemies and allowing Americans to be attacked and all he can do is apologize.

arpazia
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:39 PM
1 mom liked this
How could it NOT be a huge issue?
I side with president Obama
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
arpazia
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:41 PM
It's terrifying. Can you imagine?!

Quoting mom_to_travis:

I think foreign policy is always an important issue.  romney in charge of our foreign affairs is a scary thought indeed.  His foreign policy speech was nothing more than an attack on Obama, with no specifics whatsoever about what he would do.  VAGUE.  If we only have his numerous bungled foreign policy experiences thus far to go on, I certainly wouldn't support him.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN