Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Virginia Moms Virginia Moms

The Romneys in VA today-Is foreign policy a big concern this election?

Posted by   + Show Post

Who do you support when it comes to foreign policy? Is foreign policy one of your top concerns for this election?

Quote: washingtonpost.com

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — Every aspiring president must pass the commander-in-chief test, and that examination has not always been kind to Mitt Romney.

The former CEO, in his comfort zone when focused on the economy, has stumbled during his occasional forays into foreign policy. He offended his British hosts and Palestinian leaders during an overseas trip in July, failed to mention Afghanistan in his acceptance speech at the Republican National Convention, and was roundly criticized for the timing of his assault on President Obama’s handling of violence in Libya.

But with the president now potentially vulnerable on issues such as Libya and U.S.-Israeli relations, the Romney campaign senses an opportunity to reshape an issue long seen as an Obama strength. Romney will give a major foreign policy address Monday in Virginia that aides said would advocate a “peace through strength” approach abroad and attack Obama’s leadership as weak, themes that Romney has been trying to push for months.

In excerpts of his speech released Sunday, Romney says, “It is time to change course in the Middle East.” He says he knows “the President hopes for a safer, freer, and a more prosperous Middle East allied with the United States. I share this hope. But hope is not a strategy. We cannot support our friends and defeat our enemies in the Middle East when our words are not backed up by deeds.”

The speech at Virginia Military Institute in Lexington will thrust foreign policy even more into the center of a campaign that until recently had been almost entirely about the economy. And that focus is expected to intensify as the two candidates debate foreign policy during their last one-on-one encounter, on Oct. 22.

Amid increasing questions about the Obama administration’s handling of the violence in Libya that killed four Americans — and with Romney gaining momentum from his widely praised performance in last week’s first debate — some experts think the speech is well-timed. Though Obama has consistently outpolled Romney on foreign affairs, that advantage has diminished. A Washington Post-ABC News poll conducted just before the first debate showed Obama with a five-point edge in who is more trusted to handle international concerns, down from the president’s double-digit advantage earlier in the year.

“It’s understandable why he’s doing it now,” said David Rothkopf, a former senior Clinton administration official who is chief executive of Foreign Policy magazine. “The administration, which two to three months ago seemed unassailable on foreign policy and national security issues, now looks much more vulnerable because of what happened in Libya, because the entire Middle East is a mess, because of tensions between Obama and [Israeli leader Benjamin] Netanyahu.”

The Obama campaign, citing foreign policy achievements including the killing of Osama bin Laden and the U.S. military withdrawal from Iraq, is undeterred. Campaign officials have accused Romney of flip-flopping on the U.S. mission in Libya and troop withdrawals from Afghanistan, and have pointed out that on some issues, such as the Iranian nuclear program, Romney has outlined positions similar to Obama’s. They also say most people don’t vote based on foreign policy, though it may be seen more broadly as part of a leadership test.

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:22 AM
Replies (31-40):
egyptian_mommy
by Michelle on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:55 AM
1 mom liked this
Do you mean the images the US media has shown or the images being shown in other countries? The video being shown here and falsely translated or the actual translation?

Quoting mrs.hartman12:

All you need to do is look up the images yourself. And the president should not have ordered our marines to carry guns without live ammo.

Quoting egyptian_mommy:

See, this is a problem with America. The blind belief in the US media. The media here sells one story, but the story is much different in other countries. The US media painted all Libyans as heartless barbarians. Other countries reported that the ambassador was not dragged through the streets. They were attempting to get him to a

hospital to save his life. At the time of these attacks no one was sure what was happening or why. What about the things Romney said far before he had all the facts? Have you forgotten all of the threats and elevated threat levels during the last administration? If Obama is refusing to meet with the Prime Minister of Israel, have you considered that maybe there's a reason for it that the public is not privy to?

Quoting mrs.hartman12:

OK have ANY of you Obama supporters watched what is going on in the middle east? The president was warned of 9/11 attack threats and had our Marines who were protecting the embassy, doing so with guns that did not have live amunition. Our Abassador was beat, torchured, raped and they dragged him through the streets. Then they president had the audacity to blame it on a video that no one had even heard of until that day, when it turns out, and FOX news was already reporting this, that they governement was notified in the first 24 hours that is was a preplanned terrorist attack. Our president apologizes to the Muslim Brotherhood, refuses to meet with Isreals Prime Minister. Oh by the way it was reported last night that more terrorist attacks have been threatened.

Insert sarcarsm, yeah Nobama has done a fabulous job with all the cover ups. These things are boiling over and cover up after cover up is being exposed.

I don't know how Romney would do with foreign affairs as I am not privy to a crystal ball. What I do know is Obama is failing our allies, bowing down to our enemies and allowing Americans to be attacked and all he can do is apologize.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
clp0930
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:31 AM

I've been overseas quite a bit. Obama isn't that popular either. I don't think you can judge someone's foreign policy skills until you've actually seen them handle a *volatile* situation. Obama has given dvds formatted for the wrong region and an ipod with his speeches on it. With the relatively minor gaffes Romney has made I'd just say say that those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Arwyn724
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Quoting wingmom:

Quoting mom_to_travis:

I think foreign policy is always an important issue.  romney in charge of our foreign affairs is a scary thought indeed.  His foreign policy speech was nothing more than an attack on Obama, with no specifics whatsoever about what he would do.  VAGUE.  If we only have his numerous bungled foreign policy experiences thus far to go on, I certainly wouldn't support him.

Well said. Romney seems a little too trigger happy for my taste and doesnt have the honesty or wisdom to deal with delicate foreign policy.

Couldn't agree more.

jaynarae
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Who do you support when it comes to foreign policy? Romney.

Is foreign policy one of your top concerns for this election? Yes.

bosmum
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:03 PM

I am having trouble with the idea that Obama is good with foreign policy.  I have seen nothing to support that idea. 

But, I am paying way to much for fuel these days.

celestegood
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:52 PM
Same as me.

Quoting SabrinaLC:

I honestly don't know a whole lot about this particular subject but from what I read I side with Obama.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:52 PM
He is much better than Romney has shown himself to be...I fear for the things he would say to leaders of other countries.

Quoting bosmum:

I am having trouble with the idea that Obama is good with foreign policy.  I have seen nothing to support that idea. 

But, I am paying way to much for fuel these days.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:53 PM
Do you believe that Romney has better foreign policy skills?

Quoting jaynarae:

Who do you support when it comes to foreign policy? Romney.

Is foreign policy one of your top concerns for this election? Yes.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:54 PM
And as always, so do I!!!!!!!

Quoting Arwyn724:

Quoting wingmom:

Quoting mom_to_travis:

I think foreign policy is always an important issue.  romney in charge of our foreign affairs is a scary thought indeed.  His foreign policy speech was nothing more than an attack on Obama, with no specifics whatsoever about what he would do.  VAGUE.  If we only have his numerous bungled foreign policy experiences thus far to go on, I certainly wouldn't support him.

Well said. Romney seems a little too trigger happy for my taste and doesnt have the honesty or wisdom to deal with delicate foreign policy.

Couldn't agree more.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:54 PM
100% agree!

Quoting Felicity532:

I am unclear how you think Obama is botching it.

During the last 4 years I have felt safe in this country.

Quoting mrsjonzy:

Foreign policy is THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN A PRESIDENT! We can fix whatever goes down within our boarders, we have total and complete control of that. However we don't have total and complete control over who declares war on us, attacks us, doesn't trade with us, doesn't buy out debt, ect ect. How we deal with other counties is the single most important thing when it comes to our country's survival. Obama is botching it, Romney won't be as bad but still not very good either. Please understand the importance, as everyday there are more people that want to kill you because of what your presidents have done, and everyday those that stand between them and you are getting smaller and weaker thanks to Obama. Remeber that when you vote. The time for peace and talking it out has passed we've made too many people angry, our best defense is a better offense. Without it it's your neck they're coming after.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN