Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Romneys in VA today-Is foreign policy a big concern this election?

Posted by   + Show Post

Who do you support when it comes to foreign policy? Is foreign policy one of your top concerns for this election?

Quote: washingtonpost.com

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — Every aspiring president must pass the commander-in-chief test, and that examination has not always been kind to Mitt Romney.

The former CEO, in his comfort zone when focused on the economy, has stumbled during his occasional forays into foreign policy. He offended his British hosts and Palestinian leaders during an overseas trip in July, failed to mention Afghanistan in his acceptance speech at the Republican National Convention, and was roundly criticized for the timing of his assault on President Obama’s handling of violence in Libya.

But with the president now potentially vulnerable on issues such as Libya and U.S.-Israeli relations, the Romney campaign senses an opportunity to reshape an issue long seen as an Obama strength. Romney will give a major foreign policy address Monday in Virginia that aides said would advocate a “peace through strength” approach abroad and attack Obama’s leadership as weak, themes that Romney has been trying to push for months.

In excerpts of his speech released Sunday, Romney says, “It is time to change course in the Middle East.” He says he knows “the President hopes for a safer, freer, and a more prosperous Middle East allied with the United States. I share this hope. But hope is not a strategy. We cannot support our friends and defeat our enemies in the Middle East when our words are not backed up by deeds.”

The speech at Virginia Military Institute in Lexington will thrust foreign policy even more into the center of a campaign that until recently had been almost entirely about the economy. And that focus is expected to intensify as the two candidates debate foreign policy during their last one-on-one encounter, on Oct. 22.

Amid increasing questions about the Obama administration’s handling of the violence in Libya that killed four Americans — and with Romney gaining momentum from his widely praised performance in last week’s first debate — some experts think the speech is well-timed. Though Obama has consistently outpolled Romney on foreign affairs, that advantage has diminished. A Washington Post-ABC News poll conducted just before the first debate showed Obama with a five-point edge in who is more trusted to handle international concerns, down from the president’s double-digit advantage earlier in the year.

“It’s understandable why he’s doing it now,” said David Rothkopf, a former senior Clinton administration official who is chief executive of Foreign Policy magazine. “The administration, which two to three months ago seemed unassailable on foreign policy and national security issues, now looks much more vulnerable because of what happened in Libya, because the entire Middle East is a mess, because of tensions between Obama and [Israeli leader Benjamin] Netanyahu.”

The Obama campaign, citing foreign policy achievements including the killing of Osama bin Laden and the U.S. military withdrawal from Iraq, is undeterred. Campaign officials have accused Romney of flip-flopping on the U.S. mission in Libya and troop withdrawals from Afghanistan, and have pointed out that on some issues, such as the Iranian nuclear program, Romney has outlined positions similar to Obama’s. They also say most people don’t vote based on foreign policy, though it may be seen more broadly as part of a leadership test.

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:22 AM
Replies (41-47):
joey125
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:59 PM
1 mom liked this

It seems that congress decided not to give more  monetary support to foreign diplomats, the white house and Hilary Clinton  asked for more funding for security and they were voted down.  As far as what's going on in the Middle East what makes any of us here in the US have the right to tell other countries how to conduct their affairs,  How  would  we  like some foreign army marching down our streets if we were in a civil war.  We need to stop policing the world, it doesn't work out very well for us, plus we are going broke as a result.

flameworker
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:23 AM
2 moms liked this

I wouldn't say that foreign policy is my top concern, but I does appear that Romney and Republicans always seem ready to respond to anything with military action.  But then, that does make sense considering their penchant for supporting ever increasing military spending. 

I was very offended by Romney and others saying that the embassy in Libya issued an apology.  It's called Diplomacy, stupid! I'd love to know what he would have done in he were in that embassy .  "America believes in free speech,  F all you." yeah, that would work.  

arpazia
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:55 AM
I know! I am not what Romney was thinking

Quoting flameworker:

I wouldn't say that foreign policy is my top concern, but I does appear that Romney and Republicans always seem ready to respond to anything with military action.  But then, that does make sense considering their penchant for supporting ever increasing military spending. 

I was very offended by Romney and others saying that the embassy in Libya issued an apology.  It's called Diplomacy, stupid! I'd love to know what he would have done in he were in that embassy .  "America believes in free speech,  F all you." yeah, that would work.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bosmum
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Obama is way to weak on foreign policy and his social gaffs show he will not listen to the right advisors even on the small things.

mimi0815
by Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 2:41 AM
2 moms liked this

Obama knows exactly what he's doing he grew up around other cultures so he knows who to handle things in a diplomatic way which by the is how most civilized nations handle things. His first response is to think not act, Which was not the way Romney would have handled it he reacted the same way as Bush did blow up and kill and then ask questions later. For those of you who say that other countries dont favor Obama either thats crap I just came from overseas and its because of Obama that other countries do have some respect for us again, when Bush was in office most of the world hated us and I hate to say this but I could understand why.   So no I dont think Obama is weak , Foreign policy is where Obama is the strongest he understands the way of the world and knows how to react . I support Obama 100% and I dont know about you guys but I have felt safe in my country since he took office, that means he's doing something right. Also for the Romney supporters you keep saying and pointing fingers at what Obama has done wrong but  just like Romney no one can tell me what the alternatives are and what other way we could handle foreign policy without going or starting a war.

mimi0815
by Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 2:42 AM

"so he knows how to" sorry typo.

punky3175
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 6:35 AM
These are my thoughts exactly. It feels like Romney wants us in more wars and that's not what we need right now. I also think his arrogance will make the US look bad (even worse) to the rest of the world.

Quoting Felicity532:

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Quoting wingmom:

Quoting mom_to_travis:

I think foreign policy is always an important issue.  romney in charge of our foreign affairs is a scary thought indeed.  His foreign policy speech was nothing more than an attack on Obama, with no specifics whatsoever about what he would do.  VAGUE.  If we only have his numerous bungled foreign policy experiences thus far to go on, I certainly wouldn't support him.

Well said. Romney seems a little too trigger happy for my taste and doesnt have the honesty or wisdom to deal with delicate foreign policy.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)