Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Calling all local actors: Virginia a fantastic spot for films!

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 3:30 PM
  • 7 Replies

Who knew that Virginia was a booming location for film? In a report released last week, it showed that Virginia has become quite the hot spot for films in the last year. Over 3,800 jobs can be attributed to this business and that's just the beginning due to some grants that have been put into place to lure in more filmmakers. 

This is great news for our economic growth not only for those who want to work on the films themselves but for the businesses the crew who travel into town for will visit while setting up their temporary home away from home. Our hotels, shops, and restaraunts will no dobut benefit. 

The most exciting part? If you or a family member have always hoped to land a role on a larger film but location stifled that dream, this may be that opportunity you've been waiting to come along. It's time to keep a close eye on your local film industry so you don't miss out on those opportunities! 

With films like last year's Lincoln which hired 1,200 local actors, there are plenty of opportunities when these big films come to town. Add Ben Affleck's Argo and Clint Eastwood's J. Edgar both filmed in Northern Virginia and it sounds like we're going to have more and more opportunity in this area.

So dust off your old acting shoes if that's your passion and keep your eyes on the industry because it's booming!

Do you have a passion for drama? Have you always wanted to just be an extra and see the industry as a work in progress? Will you be hoping for a role in one of the local films that come here next?  

Image via iStock [Marcella Barsee]
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 3:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Nov. 13, 2012 at 6:14 PM

I would not be good at acting. 

dingysfamily
by Suzi on Nov. 13, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Clint's movie, J. Edgar, was filmed in our local 'big' town of Warrenton ... well, part of it was. I have pictures from some of the filming; it was rather a cool event.

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Nov. 13, 2012 at 7:08 PM

nice pictures

Quoting dingysfamily:

Clint's movie, J. Edgar, was filmed in our local 'big' town of Warrenton ... well, part of it was. I have pictures from some of the filming; it was rather a cool event.

Join us in the Virginia Moms group!

egyptian_mommy
by Michelle on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:36 PM
There have been some that filmed in and around Lexington too. Somersby and War Of The Worlds, the Tom Cruise one.

Interesting story that's off topic. My old boss and close friend (she's a grandma to my kids) has a granddaughter who was in a bad 4 wheeler (I believe, may have been a go kart) accident and was in really bad shape. Her family couldn't pay the bills so they had set up collection jars around town. Tom Cruise was in town filming and walked into Dairy Queen and saw the jar and asked about it. He then gave the manager several thousand dollars as a donation for the girl. When she was recovered enough she got to speak to him.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
dingysfamily
by Suzi on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:17 PM

That was really a great thing for him to do.

Quoting egyptian_mommy:

There have been some that filmed in and around Lexington too. Somersby and War Of The Worlds, the Tom Cruise one.

Interesting story that's off topic. My old boss and close friend (she's a grandma to my kids) has a granddaughter who was in a bad 4 wheeler (I believe, may have been a go kart) accident and was in really bad shape. Her family couldn't pay the bills so they had set up collection jars around town. Tom Cruise was in town filming and walked into Dairy Queen and saw the jar and asked about it. He then gave the manager several thousand dollars as a donation for the girl. When she was recovered enough she got to speak to him.

SabrinaLC
by Sabrina on Nov. 14, 2012 at 3:32 PM

My friend was an extra in War of the Worlds and a few other things.

You can see a guy that I use to hang out with walk past the camera in War of the Worlds, he looks right at the camera even though they were instructed not too! lol

BeachMama05
by Jamie on Nov. 14, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Acting is so not my thing lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)