Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Virginia Moms Virginia Moms

Snow Days Alert!

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 3:00 PM
  • 13 Replies

Last year didn't see much snow in the state but according to reports in some areas, we're going to get back to seeing those snow falls of years past. In the DC Metro area, they anticipate over a foot of snow this year and for those along the coast, less, but still some snow unlike last year where they saw very little. 

As a parent to three small children, one who doesn't mind when enough snow comes to call a snow day - I'm actually looking forward to having a little bit of snow come our way. I'm not a fan of the damp, cold winters without snow. At least when you have snow, it feels like being cold was worth it. Of course, I'm a wimpy transplanted Floridian - so the cold is something I tend to whine about throughout the season. 

If you live in the mountainous regions, you may already have seen some snow in your area, and this year is calling for more than last year. You'll see snow falling like that of years past. 

A couple of years ago, we saw a big snow storm come through the day after Christmas and it was quite exciting for our kids. The snow was nearly up to their hips and they had a ball falling in to make snow angels and building several snowmen was a big treat. So, I welcome a bit of snow. 

How about you - are you excited at the potential for some snow fall this year in the state?

Image:Snow at the College of William and Mary - Williamsburg, VA  via iStock - Brianna May

by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 3:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Nov. 15, 2012 at 6:05 PM

I am not a winter person, a few inches is ok, maybe once or twice in the season but its the   huge snow fall and also ice storms I do not care for.

nova.mommy
by Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:43 PM

I know my kids will love the chance to do some real sledding, not just the small hill we make by clearing the driveway.  I have been in this region all my life(grew up in Maryland but have always been in the DC Metro Area).  I don't mind snow, just not several feet at one time.  I also don't like to drive in it.  Not because I can't, but because this area has many 'transplants' that don't seem to understand that you can't drive the same in snow as you do on dry, sunny days.  

careyphotoo
by Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:58 PM
I grew up in Upstate NY and I remember some of the snow days we had. You go outside and shovel and then play in the 2-3ft if not more of snow we had gotten. I wish my kids good enjoy a day or two like that its a lot of fun!!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Xat
by Amanda on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:33 PM

I would love to get some snow this year. My kids love the snow and my youngest has never played in snow and I would love to see his reaction.

egyptian_mommy
by Michelle on Nov. 16, 2012 at 6:14 PM
Some snow would be nice. A lot of people are expecting this winter to be 'bad'. Meaning worse than the past few years.
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:22 PM

agree

Quoting nova.mommy:

I also don't like to drive in it.  Not because I can't, but because this area has many 'transplants' that don't seem to understand that you can't drive the same in snow as you do on dry, sunny days.  

Join us in the Virginia Moms group!

nova.mommy
by Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:36 PM

My DH grew up there to.  He has been in this area for about 20 years.  He is still amazed schools are cancelled for an inch or two of snow.  Unless it was a foot or more, they had school. 

Quoting careyphotoo:

I grew up in Upstate NY and I remember some of the snow days we had. You go outside and shovel and then play in the 2-3ft if not more of snow we had gotten. I wish my kids good enjoy a day or two like that its a lot of fun!!!!

amylou111
by Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Oh I hope! I am dying to take my kids out and play! I love snow! *Just like it off the roads for safety reasons =)

VanillaLatteLvr
by Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:47 PM
I've grown up in NOVA & have to say was a bit disappointed of the "fizzle" last year - however I don't like to drive in it & ice is even worse! I like the snow as long as I can sit inside a warm house (by a fireplace if available) w/ my hot cocoa. It is also beneficial for snow as it cleans out all the germs. Ironically, next weekend my husband & I will be moving up to NY (Rome) - so we will have to get used to it... & he's originally from AZ. My dad is one of those who "predicts" this year will be bad (or at least more than last year)... he's usually on-the-mark w/ stuff like this. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
careyphotoo
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 7:07 AM
Yea me and dh just laugh when they cancel for an inch and were usually out driving in it! Lol

Quoting nova.mommy:

My DH grew up there to.  He has been in this area for about 20 years.  He is still amazed schools are cancelled for an inch or two of snow.  Unless it was a foot or more, they had school. 

Quoting careyphotoo:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)