Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Virginia Moms Virginia Moms

Do any of you know?

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:33 AM
  • 14 Replies

What reasons a doctor would want to do a white and red blood count and blood work to check on the kidneys of a child?

My dd has been having an upset stomach since Wednesday. I took her to the doctor today and they examined her. They said they wanted to check her red and white blood count and also check her kidneys. They wouldn't tell me why though. She said not to worry about it she would call me tomorrow to discuss what they found.

The doctor said she isn't sick or contagious but to keep her home from school and let her relax for the next few days until the blood work got back.

It has me a little worried. I have never had them do blood work on her before.

I'm afraid to look it up on Google because it would just make me worry more. Have any of you ever had this type of situation before and if so what was the outcome.

Join us in the Virginia Moms group!

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BeachMama05
by Jamie on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:56 AM

I am not sure.. but hope it goes well!

Xat
by Amanda on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:29 PM

I do too. I figured it was a stomach bug going around and she caught it but the doctor said it wasn't. I will probably be stressing until tomorrow but I hope they have good news when they call.

Quoting BeachMama05:

I am not sure.. but hope it goes well!

MyMysMommie819
by Mandy on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:57 PM

I'm not sure, but I hope all is ok!!! For some reason Mono comes to mind but I could be wrong, just a thought that ran through my head when I read your post.

HistoryMamaX3
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:26 PM
This came to my mind as well, but the doc would be checking liver enzymes not kidneys. :-(

Kidneys could be processing an infection, which is what the doc might be looking for in the blood tests. I imagine they didn't want to worry you, but ended up causing more concern. O.o

Quoting MyMysMommie819:

I'm not sure, but I hope all is ok!!! For some reason Mono comes to mind but I could be wrong, just a thought that ran through my head when I read your post.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Xat
by Amanda on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:40 PM

She said she didn't want me to worry and that we would discuss it when she called tomorrow so now I can't help but worry but I wish she would have given me an idea of what they were looking for.

Quoting HistoryMamaX3:

This came to my mind as well, but the doc would be checking liver enzymes not kidneys. :-(

Kidneys could be processing an infection, which is what the doc might be looking for in the blood tests. I imagine they didn't want to worry you, but ended up causing more concern. O.o

Quoting MyMysMommie819:

MyMysMommie819
by Mandy on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Oh ok, I couldn't remember if it was kidneys or liver for mono. Thanks

Quoting HistoryMamaX3:

Quoting MyMysMommie819:

SabrinaLC
by Sabrina on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:13 PM

When I was having pain they checked everything including red, and white blood.

It will help them see if there is an infection of any kind.  Where is her pain?

My pain was mainly on the upper right side.  They though gallbladder but never could find anything wrong.

Xat
by Amanda on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:41 PM

She says it's around her belly button.

The blood tests came back normal but the doctor wants to see her today because she is still having a lot of pain. She says it is worse now than it has been.

Quoting SabrinaLC:

My pain was mainly on the upper right side.  They though gallbladder but never could find anything wrong.

SabrinaLC
by Sabrina on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:47 PM

poor thing!  I hope they figure it out soon!!

Quoting Xat:

The blood tests came back normal but the doctor wants to see her today because she is still having a lot of pain. She says it is worse now than it has been.

Quoting SabrinaLC:

***Sabrina *~* wife to Matt  8/6/05*~*Mommy to Isaac 7/25/06, *~*Liam 7/30/08, *~* and Eban 6/24/10***

Xat
by Amanda on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Me too! She has been having stomach problems for almost a week now. She wakes up crying because of it and I feel horrible because there is nothing I can do to help her.

Quoting SabrinaLC:

poor thing!  I hope they figure it out soon!!

Quoting Xat:

Quoting SabrinaLC:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)