Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Virginia Moms Virginia Moms

My first Winter in VA

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 12:37 AM
  • 11 Replies
I am from TX so to me it already feels like winter but my dh bought mee my first pair of snow boots last week and I'm just wondering...when can I expect snow? And my ds will be 7 mths soon. Is it ok to take him out in the snow? We have a snow suit but is that really enough to keep him warm?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 12:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Larisa72
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 9:11 AM

where in VA, and really the amount of snow is hit or miss...and does depend on where you are.

I'm from MD, sometimes we got snow in November, sometimes not until the end of December...pretty much same where I live now (Shen. Valley)....but some areas get hit harder than others.

We lived in upstate NY when both my children were young and would have them in full clothes (onesie, sweatpants, shirt) then the snowsuit and boots with gloves (sometimes a hat under the hood of the snowsuit) and would take them out for a little while and they were fine....

Anonymous2u
by Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this
I live in Lynchburg
SabrinaLC
by Sabrina on Dec. 3, 2012 at 7:21 AM

It really matters where you are and just... well, the weather.

Last year we got some messy snow at the end of October!  

I'm in Stephens City.  

Xat
by Amanda on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I live in Roanoke and we didn't get much snow last year. In the past we received a lot of snow but we just haven't in the past few years.

MaMaLaLa369
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:18 AM

the past few years we seemed to have more than what we usally get- we had snow in March even! then liek a week alter it was warm enough to go out in shorts. VA weather is wonky and extremely unpredictable.

as far as taking the little one out, i'd do it. i was so happy when we got snow and i coudl take the girls out for a bit to experience it when they were littler. you just wouldnt' want to keep him out for very long at all since he's so young, but a snow suit with warm clothes on underneath shoudl be fine, along with mittens and a hat of course. IF we get snow this year, of course!

egyptian_mommy
by Michelle on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:08 PM
There's a saying that goes something like "If you don't like the weather in VA, just wait a minute." lol Seriously the weather here can be unpredictable. If you live in the mountains you have a better chance of seeing snow. I actually grew up right over the mountain from you in Rockbridge County. I definitely saw more snow down there than up here in Northern VA.
egyptian_mommy
by Michelle on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:09 PM
Oh and for the baby. I would bundle him up well and take him out for just a minute or two once the snow stops so he can check it out but I wouldn't do any longer than that at this age.
nicki1018
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:17 PM

We haven't had snow in I think two years.  It can seem cold, I am born and raised in TX so it took me years to get used to it.  Maybe this year.

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:42 PM

He should be fine out in a snowsuit with clothes underneath. 

when it snows in my county,( Loudoun) everything closes but my job. 

momofcrazypants
by Leslie on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:05 AM

It depends. I'm from Richmond but live outside of Roanoke now at Smith Mountain Lake. It's been a long while since we've had a bad winter. A bit of snow here and there but nothing serious. Heck, my a/c is on today.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN