Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Virginia Moms Virginia Moms

A bus stop rant

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:27 AM
  • 17 Replies

Today was the first time in a long time I walked my daughter to the bus stop. (I hired someone to pick her up for school in the mornings). My heart broke for her. As we were approaching the destination, she saw another litte girl she knew. She called out to her. The little girl took off running. So my dd thought she didn't hear her. She caught up to her before they had to cross the road. Dd said hi to her. She ignored her again and took off across the street, where the actual bus stop was. She joined two other little girls. When we got there, my dd went to hang out with them, but the little girl pushed her out. I thought maybe I was being silly. But when the bus came, my dd got on first. She sat in a seat closest to the window to wear I was standing. One little girl went to sit with her, and the little girl I was talking about told her to not sit with my daughter and told the other little girl the same and the headed off to another seat. I know she has mentioned this little girl being a jerk to her a few times this year.

My daughter is a sweet, compassionate little girl. I always have taught her to include everyone and be kind. Kindness is a big thing in our home. We have taught her about bullies. I feel awful for her because I remember the girls from my church use to do this to me all the time. 

*To explain why I don't drive her to school: we are down to one car. Funny how this past summer we had 3 cars and sold 2 of them. Not realizing that she started school this year. My husband works in DC and is gone at 6am. So I made the sacrifice of bundling two little toddlers up in a stroller and her and walked to the bus stop. The girl I hired to help me in the mornings is out of town helping her sister with her 2 yr old while she has her baby. 

Update: So after school today we had a talk about this morning. She told me she let it go once she got to school and got to be around her friends who are nice. She said, "mommy, i dont want to be anyones friend who doesnt want to be mine. Its ok. those girls are missing out on a good friend." I am proud of her! 

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MaMaLaLa369
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:50 AM

that's a tough situation :( it would be easy to just tell your daughter that the mean girl doesn't seem like friend material, but if mean girl is making other kids exclude your daughter... i don't know what could be done about that. 

SabrinaLC
by Sabrina on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:03 AM
1 mom liked this

That's tough.  I'm sorry that's happening to her.  Remind her to always be nice even when people are rude.  It'll make her the better person :-)

Sometimes the kids at the bus stop ignore my son when he's trying to talk to them.  They literally act as if he's not there.  I try not to say anything but if he keeps trying with no luck I'll just tell him not to talk to them right now.  

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Agree

Quoting SabrinaLC:

Remind her to always be nice even when people are rude.  It'll make her the better person :-)

Join us in the Virginia Moms group!

amylou111
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Oh this is def sometime I remind her at least once a week. Sadley in a way some of the parents seem to be this way. I just smile and go on with my day. -To show dd how to behave in this situation. 

I just talked to dh, we are looking to get me a new car-possibly a minivan-after the new year. I can take her straight to school and pick her up. Thankfully she has sweet friends at school.

Quoting SabrinaLC:

That's tough.  I'm sorry that's happening to her.  Remind her to always be nice even when people are rude.  It'll make her the better person :-)

Sometimes the kids at the bus stop ignore my son when he's trying to talk to them.  They literally act as if he's not there.  I try not to say anything but if he keeps trying with no luck I'll just tell him not to talk to them right now.  

SabrinaLC
by Sabrina on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Well hopefully you get a vehicle and are able to drive her to school.  

My son really enjoys riding the bus.  Are there other children on the bus that she sits with?

Quoting amylou111:

Oh this is def sometime I remind her at least once a week. Sadley in a way some of the parents seem to be this way. I just smile and go on with my day. -To show dd how to behave in this situation. 

I just talked to dh, we are looking to get me a new car-possibly a minivan-after the new year. I can take her straight to school and pick her up. Thankfully she has sweet friends at school.

Quoting SabrinaLC:

***Sabrina *~* wife to Matt  8/6/05*~*Mommy to Isaac 7/25/06, *~*Liam 7/30/08, *~* and Eban 6/24/10***

amylou111
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this

She loves the bus....I think when I do get a car Ill have her ride home on the bus and i pick her up at the stop.....I know she has 2 good friends that ride home on the bus-just not to school. 

Quoting SabrinaLC:

Well hopefully you get a vehicle and are able to drive her to school.  

My son really enjoys riding the bus.  Are there other children on the bus that she sits with?

Quoting amylou111:

Quoting SabrinaLC:

MyMysMommie819
by Mandy on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:58 AM

That's tough. That is one of my worst fears when my daughter gets older and into school. I wouldn't want anyone to do that to her, it would kill me. Like others said though, I would just tell her to always be nice and if it get too out of hand I would go to the school.

momofcrazypants
by Leslie on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Such a tough situation! It gets harder and harder as they get older too. My oldest is in 7th grade this year and we've had our fair share of bus issues and bullies. I wish there was some sort of magical solution to make it all stop. You're doing the right thing, she'll come out ahead in the end. :)

amylou111
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:57 AM

I think the problem starts at home. That little girls mother is the same way to me. Just being an example of kindess, I am hoping Sofia sees it. I know a few weeks ago she had problems with this same little girl and I told Sofia then "Be your sweet, kind self. Some people are taught their behavior-good and bad. She might not have someone being nice to her. Just walk away and let it go."

Quoting momofcrazypants:

Such a tough situation! It gets harder and harder as they get older too. My oldest is in 7th grade this year and we've had our fair share of bus issues and bullies. I wish there was some sort of magical solution to make it all stop. You're doing the right thing, she'll come out ahead in the end. :)

momofcrazypants
by Leslie on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:30 PM

You're absolutely right. It does start at home unfortunately. :(   Usually, I would recommend talking to the parents, but it seems as if the apple didn't fall far from the tree. The cases we've ran into have been the same exact thing so I didn't even bother with trying to get resolution with the parents. I did, however, get in touch with the principal one time when things got to be so bad and with her help was able to get some things resolved. I'm so sorry your dd has to go through this. As parents, we just want to protect our kids from all the uglies and nasties in the world. She'll come out ahead in this, I promise.

Quoting amylou111:

I think the problem starts at home. That little girls mother is the same way to me. Just being an example of kindess, I am hoping Sofia sees it. I know a few weeks ago she had problems with this same little girl and I told Sofia then "Be your sweet, kind self. Some people are taught their behavior-good and bad. She might not have someone being nice to her. Just walk away and let it go."

Quoting momofcrazypants:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)