Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Virginia Moms Virginia Moms

What Facebook rules do you know of?

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:57 AM
  • 8 Replies

5 Facebook Etiquette Rules Every Parent Should Follow

Posted by Nicole Fabian-Weber 
on December 26, 2012 at 7:47 AM

cute kidThere are certain rules when you're onFacebook -- etiquette rules. And when you're a parent, they kind of apply all the more. After all, if you're a mom or dad on Facebook, you're probably posting and reading things about kids. And when kidsare involved, there's always rules. (I'm looking at you, person who posts a hundred times a day, but never likes anything of anyone's back!) Here are 5 Facebook etiquette rules every parent should follow.

Like posts back! If you're an active user -- a user who posts lots of photos of their kids, etc. -- and you usually get tons of likes and comments, spread the love. When your friends post pictures of their kids, like them back. Or throw in a comment if you're feeling crazy. It's the right thing to do. (Also, respond to people. If you post a lot, clearly you're on Facebook a lot. If someone asks you a question or something, give them the courtesy of responding.)

More from The Stir: 10 Surefire Ways to Be That Obnoxious Facebook Friend

Post things in an album. If you're out for the day, doing something awesome with your kids, don't keep posting photos piecemeal, clogging up everyone's newsfeeds. Create an album. Perhaps entitled: "My Awesome Day Doing Awesome Stuff With My Awesome Kids"?

Keep child complaints to a minimum. Nobody likes a Debbie Downer -- especially when the downerness is directed at your kids -- you know, those little beings who didn't ask to be put on Earth. You never know what someone else is going through -- maybe a friend of yours can't get pregnant and is desperately trying -- so err on the side of caution. And remember: it's just plain awkward for others when you air your dirty laundry.

Don't post pictures of other people's kids without asking. We've discussed this. Not cool.

Don't let Facebook take over your life. Facebook is cool and all, but it isn't a replacement for real life. Make sure you get out and hang with your actual friends -- and don't be logged on when you're around your kids. Something is just ... icky about a toddler saying: "Mommy, are you on Facebook?"

Image via one tiny spark/Flickr

by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MyMysMommie819
by Mandy on Dec. 28, 2012 at 8:15 AM

I haven't used Facebook in over a year, so I am way out of the loop. lol

Xat
by Amanda on Dec. 28, 2012 at 8:48 AM

I very rarely actually post anything on facebook. I usually talk to my dad on there.

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Same.

I use to read other updates but it became time consuming. Some people dedicate alot of time thruout just one day  to post almost everything they do.

Quoting Xat:

I very rarely actually post anything on facebook.

Join us in the Virginia Moms group!

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Dec. 28, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Its good you have been able to stay away for a year. After the campaign and election night, I started feeling like I was outgrowing FB.

I now log in maybe, once a week.

Quoting MyMysMommie819:

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Dec. 28, 2012 at 12:02 PM

This is the best rule. 

Quoting Cafe Jenn:

Don't let Facebook take over your life. Facebook is cool and all, but it isn't a replacement for real life. Make sure you get out and hang with your actual friends -- and don't be logged on when you're around your kids. Something is just ... icky about a toddler saying: "Mommy, are you on Facebook?"

Image via one tiny spark/Flickr

MyMysMommie819
by Mandy on Dec. 28, 2012 at 3:37 PM

I'm surprised I'm able to stay away from it so long, but I deactivated it so that helps lol

Quoting virginiamama71:

Its good you have been able to stay away for a year. After the campaign and election night, I started feeling like I was outgrowing FB.

I now log in maybe, once a week.

Quoting MyMysMommie819:

mimi0815
by Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this
Don't have a Facebook account. I just feel uncomfortable with people knowing what's going on in my life. The closest thing I have is LinkedIn and that's so I can network for myself professionally to enhance my career goals. Other than that I just honestly don't feel comfortable with people knowing my business. It's caused a lot of problems in people's marriages and personal relationships (siblings) that it has made me feel like limited info is best.
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:13 PM

That is true, sadly alot of people do misuse it.

Quoting mimi0815:

Don't have a Facebook account. I just feel uncomfortable with people knowing what's going on in my life. The closest thing I have is LinkedIn and that's so I can network for myself professionally to enhance my career goals. Other than that I just honestly don't feel comfortable with people knowing my business. It's caused a lot of problems in people's marriages and personal relationships (siblings) that it has made me feel like limited info is best.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)