Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Virginia Moms Virginia Moms

Magnet Schools ??

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 5 Replies

Hey Ladies , I am a mother of three kids two boys ages 7 and 4 and a daughter age 5 . My oldest son Ryley has been accepted into the TAG ( talented and gifted students ) program at his school. He LOVES it .He says that's his favorite thing to do at school. I guess my question is what are magent schools ? The reason I am asking is I got one of the automated phone calls from the kids school asking if we would like to sign our kids up for a magnet school and telling us that the deadline in the 18th.. I don't know much about them but the few things that I have read . From what I have read it seems that they are for gifted children ( am I wrong ) ? And I was wondering with my son being in the TAG program would it be something worth looking into for him. He is in 1st grade .. My husband is Navy and we moved from Spain. When we got here he was behind in his reading because they didn't do much of anything with him at the school there. I think he's getting back on track there though . With what his teacher is telling me . I would like to know if any of you ladies have kids in a magnet school or know anything about them and what you think . I would just like some advice . Thanks .

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
SabrinaLC
by Sabrina on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:04 AM

I don't know anything about them.  I'd have to look it up. Here is a bump, hopefully someone can help you.

Xat
by Amanda on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:26 AM

The only one I know about is an aerospace magnet school. The school teaches all the regular subjects but also teach about space. They have a lot of artificial space shuttles that you can get in and then the whole things shakes and move while you watch a video of what it would be like to be in space. It is the only one I know anything about.

MaMaLaLa369
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this

i found some info here- http://www.publicschoolreview.com/articles/2   

and this is a list of Magnet Schools in VA- http://www.publicschoolreview.com/state_magnets/stateid/VA  

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:53 AM

One of my nephews attended one years ago. From what my brother says they offer more challenging programs than public schools.

MyMysMommie819
by Mandy on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I'm not sure what they are, but heres a bump for you incase someone else does!! =)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)