Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Virginia Moms Virginia Moms

Child support, court orders, paperwork issues

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:41 AM
  • 7 Replies
I have a friend who is in the process of divorce and her soon to be ex is behind on child support and money he owes for bills, etc. They lived in North Carolina when they separated, then she moved up here to VA with her parents and he went to Maryland with his girlfriend. They had a lawyer draw up a separation agreement that states he pays child support and is responsible for all bills until their house sells, at which point he starts paying alimony. He has been giving her an average of $500 a month when it should be closer to $2000 a month, plus he hasn't paid the mortgage on the house. It looks like while the separation agreement is legally binding, it was never filed in NC and now needs to be filed in VA to obtain a court order before Child Support Enforcement can be contacted to help get her the money that she is owed. She is very lucky in the sense that her parents are a great support and will not put her put her out and will not let her or her kids go hungry or without diapers (neither will we for that matter), but this looks like its going to be a long process with a lot of paperwork, despite the already legally binding agreement. So, my question is, for anyone that has gone through a rough divorce, do you have any tips for filing paperwork and getting through the court system? Are there specific things she should file? What needs to be in place for the court order to go through? She has some money set aside for a lawyer for the actual divorce proceedings, but obviously with no income and him not paying, she does not have the funds for a lawyer at this point. (He is military and was deployed, therefore she was, and still is a SAHM. At this point, child care for 3 kids will cost more than she would make, so getting a job to pay for a lawyer isn't an option.) Ladies, any advice you can offer would be great. As you know, phone calls to local court houses and government offices rarely provide someone with all the information they need and since she hasn't lived in VA in almost 10 years, she is a bit lost at this point. Any direction I can pass on to her would be very helpful. TIA.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MyMysMommie819
by Mandy on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:49 AM

I'm not sure, but here's a bump for you!! Good luck to her!! =)

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Can/Will the military garnish his wages?

heres a bump

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:42 PM

can she contact the lawyer in NC to find out how she should proceed in VA?

chillemi78
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:15 PM
The military said go through Child Support Enforcement, but they won't do anything now. Today she started the process to go to Child.Support Enforcement, and I'm sure if he ends up with them after him, he'll eventually getin some sort of trouble. I always heard the military was much harder on parents who don't pay support, but it doesn't seem to be the case now. She has started the process, so hopefully it goes quickly from here. Thanks for the input.

Quoting virginiamama71:

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Jan. 15, 2013 at 6:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I thought so too since they know where the absent parent is and knew they had income coming in.

Hope it all works out for her and its good she has a supportive family.

Quoting chillemi78:

I always heard the military was much harder on parents who don't pay support, but it doesn't seem to be the case now. She has started the process, so hopefully it goes quickly from here. Thanks for the input.

Quoting virginiamama71:

Join us in the Virginia Moms group!

egyptian_mommy
by Michelle on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:01 PM
Idk but here's a bump. Good luck to her.
Xat
by Amanda on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:13 AM
I'm not sure so here's a Bump.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN