Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Virginia Moms Virginia Moms

Recipes?

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:49 PM
  • 11 Replies
Anyone interested in sharing an old favorite or something new you recently tried and found yummy? Hopefully we can all get some new ideas because if you're like me you a. Like trying new things and b. Sometimes get stuck in a food rut.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MaMaLaLa369
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:28 PM

i tried a sauteed cabbage recipe the other night, along with a recipe for making your own pasta. i didn't roll my pasta out thin enough so it was a bit chewy, but i'm going to try again, dividing the dough in half and rolling out 2 circles instead of one. the cabbage was yummy though! i might try making it with no soy sauce and see if my girls like that better, i didn't measure it out and i think put too much in. but i liek soy sauce so i didn't mind. i made a peanut sauce for the noodles that i've made before and it was yummy :)

MyMysMommie819
by Mandy on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:18 AM
Sure :) I don't cool much and need all the help I can get lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MaMaLaLa369
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:09 PM

i'm making focaccia bread today! it's oooo good and it's probably the easiest bread to make (aside fomr using a bread amchine) since there's barely any hands-on stuff you need to do. here's the recipe i use-

Overnight No-Knead Focaccia Bread

1C whole wheat flour
3C AP flour
1/4t yeast
1.5t salt
2C water
2T olive oil
1T Italian seasoning (or any seasoning blend you like- i love Mrs. Dash Tomato Basil and Garlic blend)
2T cornmeal

combine salt, yeast, and flours. stir in water. should be a sticky, lumpy ball all stuck to the sides of the bowl. cover with plastic wrap and leave out at room temperature overnight. use a floured spatula to scrape the sides of the dough into the center, turning it in on itself, forming a ball (it will not be a perfect little dough ball that you may be used to). prepare your large baking sheet with foil or parchment (or not if you have a good non-stick pan) with non-stick spray or a little olive oil, and sprinkle with the cornmeal. flour your hands and pour the dough out onto the baking sheet, stretching and pattiing it into a large rectangle. keep hands floured as needed so they don't stick to the dough. drizzle olive oil on top and brush it all over, then sprinkle with your seasoning, patting it so it'll really stick to the dough. let rise for 1 hour. preheat oven to 425. press dimples into dough with your fingers (kids like to do this part!) bake for 20-25 minutes. transfer to wire rack to cool.

this is one i made a long time ago with my old camera so you can't really see the dimples we poked before baking. those are my girls' fingers poking the dough :)

after baking!

and this is a pic of some sammies i made with the bread with a deli ham salad with honey dijon/mayo sauce

Xat
by Amanda on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:57 AM

That looks so yummy!

Quoting MaMaLaLa369:

i'm making focaccia bread today! it's oooo good and it's probably the easiest bread to make (aside fomr using a bread amchine) since there's barely any hands-on stuff you need to do. here's the recipe i use-

1C whole wheat flour
3C AP flour
1/4t yeast
1.5t salt
2C water
2T olive oil
1T Italian seasoning (or any seasoning blend you like- i love Mrs. Dash Tomato Basil and Garlic blend)
2T cornmeal

combine salt, yeast, and flours. stir in water. should be a sticky, lumpy ball all stuck to the sides of the bowl. cover with plastic wrap and leave out at room temperature overnight. use a floured spatula to scrape the sides of the dough into the center, turning it in on itself, forming a ball (it will not be a perfect little dough ball that you may be used to). prepare your large baking sheet with foil or parchment (or not if you have a good non-stick pan) with non-stick spray or a little olive oil, and sprinkle with the cornmeal. flour your hands and pour the dough out onto the baking sheet, stretching and pattiing it into a large rectangle. keep hands floured as needed so they don't stick to the dough. drizzle olive oil on top and brush it all over, then sprinkle with your seasoning, patting it so it'll really stick to the dough. let rise for 1 hour. preheat oven to 425. press dimples into dough with your fingers (kids like to do this part!) bake for 20-25 minutes. transfer to wire rack to cool.

this is one i made a long time ago with my old camera so you can't really see the dimples we poked before baking. those are my girls' fingers poking the dough :)

after baking!

and this is a pic of some sammies i made with the bread with a deli ham salad with honey dijon/mayo sauce

MaMaLaLa369
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:05 AM

it really is! yesterday's came out so fluffy and good, mmmm! i think i'm gonna make hamburgers tonight and use this bread for buns :D

Quoting Xat:

That looks so yummy!

Quoting MaMaLaLa369:

Xat
by Amanda on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this

My oven doesn't work right now but as soon as I get a new one I definitely want to try to make this.

Quoting MaMaLaLa369:

it really is! yesterday's came out so fluffy and good, mmmm! i think i'm gonna make hamburgers tonight and use this bread for buns :D

Quoting Xat:

That looks so yummy!

Quoting MaMaLaLa369:

SabrinaLC
by Sabrina on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:20 PM
2 moms liked this

We cook all the time.

Um... I just made an easy dirty red beans and rice recipe.  It's my favorite lunch.

Dirty Red Beans and Rice

1Tbsp olive oil
1cup diced yellow onion 
1 bell pepper diced (I use red)
2 stalks celery diced
2 carrots diced
2 3/4 c. vegetable broth
1/4 c. soy sauce
1 1/2 c. white rice
1 can red beans, drained and rinsed 

Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat.  Add vegetables, cover and cook 15 minutes until the onions are translucent and veggies are browned.  Add broth and soy sauce, deglaze pan.  Bring to boil.  Add rice, reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook 20 minutes or until rice is done.  Turn off heat, add beans and incorporate.  Cover and let sit until beans are warmed.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.

HistoryMamaX3
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this

The other night I made loaded baked potato soup... but halved the potatoes with a mix of cauliflower and butternut squash. It was awesome and, as always, it was even better reheated the next day! This is the recipe I based it off of:

http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2012/10/fully-loaded-baked-potato-soup/

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:52 PM

the bread looks delicious

Quoting MaMaLaLa369:

1C whole wheat flour
3C AP flour
1/4t yeast
1.5t salt
2C water
2T olive oil
2T cornmeal

after baking!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)