Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Virginia Moms Virginia Moms

I had no idea about this law... lol

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:21 AM
  • 23 Replies

'Without shame': Shacking up may finally become legal in Virginia

By Becky Bratu, Staff Writer, NBC News

Shacking up may soon become legal in Virginia, where a bill aims to repeal the state's 136-year-old law that makes unmarried couples living together guilty of a misdemeanor.

Virginia is one of four states that has such a law on the books, along with Florida, Michigan and Mississippi.

The bill's sponsor, Sen. Adam Ebbin, told The Virginian-Pilot an estimated 140,000 Virginians cohabitate with an unmarried partner.

"These men and women share that relationship openly, and without shame," Ebbin said, according to the Pilot, adding that state and federal courts have made such laws unconstitutional.

Nevertheless, the law has been in place since 1877 and states that unmarried people who "lewdly and lasciviously associate and cohabit together ... shall be guilty of a Class 3 misdemeanor."

So-called living in sin is punishable with a $500 fine for a first offense, while subsequent offenses may carry up to one year in jail and a maximum $2,500 fine.

The bill to repeal the law is currently making its way through the state's General Assembly. While a Senate committee advanced it unanimously, it still faces a full Senate vote and, if it passes, a review in the House of Delegates.

According to NBC 4, Ebbin said that while the law hasn't been enforced in a long time, it was brought up in the early 1990s, when state officials threatened to revoke a Norfolk, Va., daycare provider's license.

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I heard this on NPR this morning.

MyMysMommie819
by Mandy on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:38 PM

It was on my MSNB news feed this morning, I had no idea about this, seems a little crazy for a law lol

Quoting virginiamama71:

I heard this on NPR this morning.

jaytee
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Oh my! I guess from May of 2012 until Sept of 2012 I was a law breaker, lol! I married my DH on the 28th of Sept 2012.

Xat
by Amanda on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I had no idea that it was against the law. I've never had to worry about it because dh and I got married before we lived together but I should give my sister a hard time because her bf lives with her.

MyMysMommie819
by Mandy on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:39 PM
Lol I'm breaking it now but shhhh don't tell lol

Quoting jaytee:

Oh my! I guess from May of 2012 until Sept of 2012 I was a law breaker, lol! I married my DH on the 28th of Sept 2012.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MyMysMommie819
by Mandy on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:40 PM
I didn't either. U should give her hard time it's be funny and I'm sure she doesn't know either lol

Quoting Xat:

I had no idea that it was against the law. I've never had to worry about it because dh and I got married before we lived together but I should give my sister a hard time because her bf lives with her.

DragonLee16
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:42 AM
I already knew about this one. It's just one of many outdated laws. You can do a simple search to find them. Been a topic for years.
SabrinaLC
by Sabrina on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:33 AM

oh no! I had no idea, lol!

I've lived with my husband since I was 17

MyMysMommie819
by Mandy on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this

lol me either, I guess we're all law breakers lol

Quoting SabrinaLC:

oh no! I had no idea, lol!

I've lived with my husband since I was 17

jean_marie1987
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Oh wow!! It's a good thing I co-habitated in Texas!! I was already married by the time we moved here!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)