Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Virginia Moms Virginia Moms

Did you know?

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:02 PM
  • 13 Replies

I was working on my Geography homework and while reading in the text book I came upon a fact about Italy that I had no idea about.

In Itay they do not put their elderly into retirement homes. Usually the family helps to take care of their elderly. As years have gone by more women have had to join the work force and are unable to stay at home to take care of the elderly. Well to fix the situation a family can adopt an elderly person to be the family grandparent.

The person would go to the families house and stay there during the day and is legally part of the person's family. I found this to be so interesting.

I told hubby we should adopt someone so our kids can have a real grandpa. My dad has never met my youngest to kids. He lives in Cali and we don't have a lot of communication. And his dad well there is so much wrong with his dad that I could spend all day explaining.

I think that the idea is wonderful. Did you ladies know about this?

Join us in the Virginia Moms group!

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:40 PM

We use to be like this in America. Situations change and bring people back to this way of life.

In my family on my father's side, we all are taking care of or have taken care of our parents, and always someone either remains at home taking care of a parent even when we marry or have the parent(s) come live with them.

Most other countries have this way of life too.

Hopefully here in America we will come back to know how important it is to do this for our parents and elderly family members.

Xat
by Amanda on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I know. In my family we have only had one person that has been put in a nursing home and that was only because he was hit by a car and in a coma.

What I found fascinating was that other people would adopt an elderly person to keep them out of retirement homes. I think we should do that here.

Quoting virginiamama71:

We use to be like this in America. Situations change and bring people back to this way of life.

In my family on my father's side, we all are taking care of or have taken care of our parents, and always someone either remains at home taking care of a parent even when we marry or have the parent(s) come live with them.

Hopefully here in America we will come back to know how important it is to do this for our parents and elderly family members.

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I like the idea also to adopt a elderly person who has noone or their family is not able to give them the time they would need cause they are working long hours.

My son's 4 grandparents have all passed away and he spends time with the elderly in our neighborhood but they are not completely alone since family checks on them often but its alot better when they live among people taking care of them and allowing for them to continue to be independent but still not alone.

Quoting Xat:

I know. In my family we have only had one person that has been put in a nursing home and that was only because he was hit by a car and in a coma.

What I found fascinating was that other people would adopt an elderly person to keep them out of retirement homes. I think we should do that here.

Quoting virginiamama71:

Xat
by Amanda on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:52 PM

My kids have grandmas and great-grandmas that love them to death but they really don't have any grandfathers in the picture. My dad lives far away and doesn't seem to really care. I haven't seen him in 7 years and we only talk about one every other month. My fil was really heavy into drugs and I don't know if he is completely clean or not. I know he can't go without being drunk. Every time we are around him all you can smell is alcohol on him. So we don't see him often.

It would be awesome to be able to help and elderly person and show my kids how a real grandfather should be.

Quoting virginiamama71:

I like the idea also to adopt a elderly person who has noone or their family is not able to give them the time they would need cause they are working long hours.

My son's 4 grandparents have all passed away and he spends time with the elderly in our neighborhood but they are not completely alone since family checks on them often but its alot better when they live among people taking care of them and allowing for them to continue to be independent but still not alone.

Quoting Xat:

Quoting virginiamama71:

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Its sad. Hope he can fight the demons and allow the better man inside him out so he can enjoy his grandchildren.

Quoting Xat:

My fil was really heavy into drugs and I don't know if he is completely clean or not. I know he can't go without being drunk. Every time we are around him all you can smell is alcohol on him. So we don't see him often.

Xat
by Amanda on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:05 PM

I don't know if he ever will. We thought he just started doing them and then just found out that he started when my hubby was just a baby. He has been is legal trouble for it and almost faced life in prison because he hired a hooker and the two of them got high in a hotel room and she died because of it. Even that wasn't enough to keep him clean. I wish he would be I doubt he will ever be truly clean.

Quoting virginiamama71:

Its sad. Hope he can fight the demons and allow the better man inside him out so he can enjoy his grandchildren.

Quoting Xat:

My fil was really heavy into drugs and I don't know if he is completely clean or not. I know he can't go without being drunk. Every time we are around him all you can smell is alcohol on him. So we don't see him often.

chillemi78
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:14 PM
My husband's parents actually did build an addition to their house for his grandmother. Unfortunately, her medical issues became so bad that his parents were just not qualified to give her proper care, but the intention was there. That space continued to be rented out to other family members after she was moved to a nursing home, so at least it still took care of family in one sense.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Xat
by Amanda on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:04 AM

That was so nice of your parents. I wish more families were like that. I can't imagine putting someone I love in a nursing home unless it was absolutely necessary.

Quoting chillemi78:

My husband's parents actually did build an addition to their house for his grandmother. Unfortunately, her medical issues became so bad that his parents were just not qualified to give her proper care, but the intention was there. That space continued to be rented out to other family members after she was moved to a nursing home, so at least it still took care of family in one sense.

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:19 PM

That was kind of them to do that and have it available for other family members.

Quoting chillemi78:

MyMysMommie819
by Mandy on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:07 AM

I like that, it's cute idea! =) I'll probably end up taking care of my dad when he gets older since I'm the only one who lives in the same state as him =)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN