Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Might be going out today

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:58 AM
  • 21 Replies

Since you all don't know me that well you won't totally understand how big this is (if it happens).

I joined a group of moms in my area on Facebook and they set up to meet today at the mall.  Well, at first I wasn't going to go.  I have pretty awful anxiety (causes me to be physically ill) and I also have emetophobia (fear of vomitting) so going to a public place with a bunch of women and children is so not my idea of a good time.  

Yesterday I decided to go.  My 4 year old doesn't seem to want to go.  I think it's partially because he'll have to, gasp, stop playing with his tablet long enough to be social.  But my youngest does want to go.  I showed him pictures of the play area where we will be and he's totally excited.  So I decided that I would just go.  It would be good to socialize.  I'm worried some kid will vomit on my kid or my kid will pick up norovirus off the play area somehow.  I can't deal with that.  Last time one of my kids threw up I had an panic attack and was pulling out my hair.  Yeah, it's that bad.  :-(  I'm such a mess.

But I was ready, I was excited... but then this morning I read on someone's facebook status that their child had thrown up in the middle of the night.  No, it's not a kid that was going to be at the playdate but that just reminded it that these virus' are still out there.  UGH!

So, I might go... but I might not.  I need to meet other moms and let my children be social.  But I'm totally freaked.  Ugh!

I'm not totally sure of the point of this post other than to ramble early in the morning...

***Sabrina *~* wife to Matt  8/6/05*~*Mommy to Isaac 7/25/06, *~*Liam 7/30/08, *~* and Eban 6/24/10***

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
careyphotoo
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:07 AM
1 mom liked this
I was the same way. I joined a meetup group and took me awhile to go to one of there meetups. Though after I did I was very happy and so was dd she was so happy she didn't want to leave. I say go and try it out. You'll def be happy you did!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SabrinaLC
by Sabrina on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:10 AM

Thanks for the reply.  I think the big thing is the Norovirus risk.  I know that sounds ridiculous but the thought literally causes me to freak out.  

My anxiety generally calms down once I'm where I'm going, it's just getting out the door that is hard.  

Thanks again for your reply.

Quoting careyphotoo:

I was the same way. I joined a meetup group and took me awhile to go to one of there meetups. Though after I did I was very happy and so was dd she was so happy she didn't want to leave. I say go and try it out. You'll def be happy you did!!

***Sabrina *~* wife to Matt  8/6/05*~*Mommy to Isaac 7/25/06, *~*Liam 7/30/08, *~* and Eban 6/24/10***

MyMysMommie819
by Mandy on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:29 AM

Take it slow, maybe just go for a little bit or something so that you don't overwhelm yourself. Or try and do it at your house instead or something. Good luck hun!!! =)

SabrinaLC
by Sabrina on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Thanks

It seems my 4 year old is the main problem now.  He REALLY doesn't want to go.  If I mention it he gets upset and cries.

Quoting MyMysMommie819:

Take it slow, maybe just go for a little bit or something so that you don't overwhelm yourself. Or try and do it at your house instead or something. Good luck hun!!! =)

MaMaLaLa369
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:01 AM

i'm sorry your little man isn't excited :( maybe he'll be better about it once you get there, and if not, then you can just head home. i understand your anxiety about getting out of the house. i have social anxiety and soem days are really hard on me it's gotten worse since i've been stuck at home with no car, and therefore not able to get out and acclimate myself anymore. i tend to show up late to everything now because i'm so nervous leaving the house that it's almost liek i'm making up an excuse to not go- looking through my purse to make sure i have everything, checking my hair and make-up in the mirror to make sure it's just right and i dont' look stupid, debating back and forth on what to wear, checking the dog's water dish... i get to the door and then think of soemthing else tedious to do before i leave. it sucks; i'd really liek to make new friends but i spend way too much time trying to act liek i'm okay and not give in to my nervous habits that i just can't seem to get into small talk. i think i come off as an anti-social weirdo to people.

as for the germs, bring along some antibacterial stuff and soak your hands in it as soon as you're done at the mall before you get in the car, then washwashwash your hands as soon as you get home! i hope you gusy have fun today! 

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I hope you will be able to go.

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:03 AM

does he have social anxiety too?

Quoting SabrinaLC:

Thanks

It seems my 4 year old is the main problem now.  He REALLY doesn't want to go.  If I mention it he gets upset and cries.

Quoting MyMysMommie819:

SabrinaLC
by Sabrina on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:08 AM

He's shy but once he warms up to people he likes a totally different person.  I'm not sure if it's anxiety though, suppose it could be.  His daddy isn't a very social person either which is part of the reason why I feel I NEED to go to this playdate today.  We need some outside interaction.

Quoting virginiamama71:

does he have social anxiety too?

Quoting SabrinaLC:

Thanks

Quoting MyMysMommie819:

SabrinaLC
by Sabrina on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I know what you mean.  I use to do alright going out but after having kids and leaving the house less and less it has gotten so much harder to do.  UGH!  Gotta go!!  lol

Quoting MaMaLaLa369:

i'm sorry your little man isn't excited :( maybe he'll be better about it once you get there, and if not, then you can just head home. i understand your anxiety about getting out of the house. i have social anxiety and soem days are really hard on me it's gotten worse since i've been stuck at home with no car, and therefore not able to get out and acclimate myself anymore. i tend to show up late to everything now because i'm so nervous leaving the house that it's almost liek i'm making up an excuse to not go- looking through my purse to make sure i have everything, checking my hair and make-up in the mirror to make sure it's just right and i dont' look stupid, debating back and forth on what to wear, checking the dog's water dish... i get to the door and then think of soemthing else tedious to do before i leave. it sucks; i'd really liek to make new friends but i spend way too much time trying to act liek i'm okay and not give in to my nervous habits that i just can't seem to get into small talk. i think i come off as an anti-social weirdo to people.

as for the germs, bring along some antibacterial stuff and soak your hands in it as soon as you're done at the mall before you get in the car, then washwashwash your hands as soon as you get home! i hope you gusy have fun today! 

MyMysMommie819
by Mandy on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:49 PM

How did it go?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)