Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Virginia Moms Virginia Moms

Anyone have experience with step parent adoption in VA/NoVA?

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:58 PM
  • 6 Replies

Hello! We are looking into my DH adopting my first born DS. His bio-Dad hasn't had much or anything to do with him his whole life. We have read some free info online about the laws but not sure how to get good info and/or hire a lawyer. They all seem to want a retainer before they will even talk to is. The bio-Dad is in New Mexico and we are in Leesburg, VA. My DS is 7 in April and has been wishing for my DH to adopt him for well over a year. He came home from Kindergarten the first week of school in 2011 asking and brings it up all the time. He even asked his bio-Dad then and was denied but about 2 weeks ago his bio-Dad called after not having any contact since June (not even Xmas) saying he had been thinking about it. So we would like to strike while the iron is hot .

by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Your husband will have to go to the court to file paperwork for adoption and if both you and your son's father agree paperwork from both of you has to be given to the court.

check at the Courthouse in Leesburg to see exactly  what paperwork is needed.

Xat
by Amanda on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:10 PM
I don't know, I have never done it. Good luck I hope everything works out for you all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MyMysMommie819
by Mandy on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:33 AM

I don't but like Carrie said I would do that, good luck and hope all works out for you guys!!! =)

egyptian_mommy
by Michelle on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:23 PM
Good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SabrinaLC
by Sabrina on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:58 AM

not me, sorry

hopefully someone can help

anxiousschk
by Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 4:03 PM

We did it.  

We didn't have bio dad's whereabouts so we filed a notice in a paper local to his last known residence.  

He didn't respond and wasn't listed in the VA putative father registry (if I spelled that right) so the adoption sailed through. 

If you know where bio dad is and he's on the birth certificate, he will most likely be required to sign away rights.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN