Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Virginia Moms Virginia Moms

My doggie almost died today!

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:51 AM
  • 40 Replies

I have a three year old Pomeranian. I made an appointment today to be fixed and to be updated on any shots that he made need.

Well the vet just called to let me know that he is on oxygen right now. After surgery he started vomiting and they think he inhaled some of the vomit. Then his heart rate start dropping and became dangerously low. Since he has been on the oxygen his heart rate has become stable.

I am suppose to go back to the vet's office at 4:30 but I don't know if they will let him come home or if they will keep him overnight.

I never thought about this happening while he was there. I know a lot of people who have had their dogs neutered and have never heard of this type of thing happening. I hope he is okay, I can't wait until I can see him so that I know he is okay.

Sorry I just had to get it out, when I'm upset writing it out sometimes helps.

Join us in the Virginia Moms group!

by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MyMysMommie819
by Mandy on Feb. 26, 2013 at 1:00 PM

I'm sorry hun!! I hope he's ok and come out of it ok!! **HUGS**

Xat
by Amanda on Feb. 26, 2013 at 1:32 PM
Thanks, he is a big spoiled baby and I would miss him so much if something happened to him.

Quoting MyMysMommie819:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MyMysMommie819
by Mandy on Feb. 26, 2013 at 1:40 PM

I bet, having pets is almost like having another kid. They become part of the family =)

Quoting Xat:

Thanks, he is a big spoiled baby and I would miss him so much if something happened to him.

Quoting MyMysMommie819:

Xat
by Amanda on Feb. 26, 2013 at 1:43 PM
They really do. Last night he just sat on my lap for an hour being brushed because he loves it so much.

Quoting MyMysMommie819:

I bet, having pets is almost like having another kid. They become part of the family =)

Quoting Xat:

Quoting MyMysMommie819:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MyMysMommie819
by Mandy on Feb. 26, 2013 at 1:48 PM

aww that's so sweet, he'll be happy to see you tonight i bet!! =)

Quoting Xat:

They really do. Last night he just sat on my lap for an hour being brushed because he loves it so much.

Quoting MyMysMommie819:

Quoting Xat:

Quoting MyMysMommie819:

egyptian_mommy
by Michelle on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Oh how scary! Hope he's ok. It's probably just a fluke, maybe the anesthesia didn't agree with him. Poor doggie. 

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:11 PM

((((hugs)))

I hope he will be ok.

Xat
by Amanda on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:41 PM
That's what I was thinking. They didn't give us too much details and said we could talk when we came in at 4:30.

Quoting egyptian_mommy:

Oh how scary! Hope he's ok. It's probably just a fluke, maybe the anesthesia didn't agree with him. Poor doggie. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Xat
by Amanda on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:42 PM
I hope so. We will find out when we go back to the vet in a couple of hours.

Quoting virginiamama71:

((((hugs)))

I hope he will be ok.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveonHollySt
by Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Out of curiosity was the dog given food or water prior to the surgery?  If so, this happens often when that is done.  I used to work in a vet clinic and have seen this a couple times.  Another is the anesthesia was the wrong one for him.  Then again the ventilation tube might have been placed in his stomach instead of the lungs.  Usually they will keep him until he no longer needs oxigen and is stable for 24 hours.  He should be ok and home with you by the weekend.  Everything will be fine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)