Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Virginia Moms Virginia Moms

What Nursery Rhymes do you think....

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 8:49 AM
  • 18 Replies

Children shouldn't hear? I read an article here on cafemom (not sure how to share the link) In the article it stated that ceratin Nursey rhymes when you think about it are really not good for children to sing. For example Ring around the Rosy. Isn't that song about a plague? I change the words when i sing that song with my daughter bc of these simple words "Ashes ashes we all fall down" We changed to the words to " Kisses Kisses we all fall down"  Another one i have an issue with is Rock-A-Bye- Baby.. Think of the words.. "Down will come baby, cradle and all"  Who came up with these songs?? There are others too if you really think about them.. Which Nursery rhymes do you think children shouldn't be singing?  

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 8:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
zboys
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Good for you for changing the words.  I sang them all to my kids the way they are.

MyMysMommie819
by Mandy on Feb. 27, 2013 at 8:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree on the Rock a bye baby, the words are crazy and wonder who came up with that lol I usually just sing to her hush little baby, you are my sunshine, twinkle twinkle little star, row your boat, (I don't know if those are all nursey rhymes lol)

Kellbel08
by Kelley on Feb. 27, 2013 at 8:57 AM

I sing those songs too!! They seem to be more on the pleasant side ;) I love singing to Ari "you are my sunshine" ;) I'm not sure if they are nursery rhymes either but they have cute rythms :)

Quoting MyMysMommie819:

I agree on the Rock a bye baby, the words are crazy and wonder who came up with that lol I usually just sing to her hush little baby, you are my sunshine, twinkle twinkle little star, row your boat, (I don't know if those are all nursey rhymes lol)

Kellbel08
by Kelley on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Here's another nursery rhyme... Old women who lives in the shoe.. the last part of the ryhme says " Then whipped them all soundly and put them to bed" Really?  

MyMysMommie819
by Mandy on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Right they do!! =)

Quoting Kellbel08:

I sing those songs too!! They seem to be more on the pleasant side ;) I love singing to Ari "you are my sunshine" ;) I'm not sure if they are nursery rhymes either but they have cute rythms :)

Quoting MyMysMommie819:

MaMaLaLa369
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:21 AM

i know they are morbid, but i still sing them anyway. i never thought twice about them when i was little, and if my girls ask i cna just look them up on the net to see what they mean and explain them in an age-appropriate way i guess.

my grandmother made a lot of cross-stitch stuff for all her granchildren. one of the samplers she made for me is a nursery rhyme that is really morbid but not as familiar to people-

Ladybug, Ladybug, Fly away home
Your house is on fire, Your children all gone
All except one, And that's little Ann
And she has crept under the warming pan

babyspots17
by Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:32 AM
Personally I think "You are my Sunshine" is a really depressing song and thought is was a mother singing about her deceased child. I think most rhymes and lullabies are kind of depressing and morbid. I still tell them to my kids because at this young age it has no meaning except a sweet song I sing or an exciting story I tell them.

Quoting MyMysMommie819:

Right they do!! =)

Quoting Kellbel08:

Quoting MyMysMommie819:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MyMysMommie819
by Mandy on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I didn't know thats what the song was about. but like you said they don't know right now either.

Quoting babyspots17:

Personally I think "You are my Sunshine" is a really depressing song and thought is was a mother singing about her deceased child. I think most rhymes and lullabies are kind of depressing and morbid. I still tell them to my kids because at this young age it has no meaning except a sweet song I sing or an exciting story I tell them.

Quoting MyMysMommie819:

Right they do!! =)

Quoting Kellbel08:

Quoting MyMysMommie819:

babyspots17
by Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Okay so I just looked about half the lullabies my mom used to sing me and apparently she was big on shortening them all! Lol! So "you are my sunshine" isn't as dark as I thought but still about a love not loving you back.

Quoting MyMysMommie819:

I didn't know thats what the song was about. but like you said they don't know right now either.

Quoting babyspots17:

Quoting MyMysMommie819:

Right they do!! =)

Quoting Kellbel08:

Quoting MyMysMommie819:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Xat
by Amanda on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:40 AM
We don't sing the ones listed in the the original post but we sing the same ones as you.

Quoting MyMysMommie819:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)