pad thaiUgh, it's March -- such a tricky month. On one hand, it feels hopeful because you know spring is right around the corner. On the other hand, it's still chilly and windy, and so blah! And what's to eat? By now I'm sick of heavy winter food. But on the other hand, I'm not exactly ready for grilling and salads, either.

It's funny, I was just thinking about March food this morning when a friend of mine posted the same exact question -- what do you eat in March?!? Foods that are still warm and cozy, but a little lighter. Foods with a lot of flavor and maybe even a little spice. Don't you think? Here's five recipes to liven up dinner this month.

Chicken Gyros: Lighter than the traditional lamb, this chicken gyros with tzatziki recipe is perfect for right now. I love the gorgeous step-by-step photos, too.

Savory Crepes: We all love crepes for dessert. But how about for dinner? Fill them with ham and cheese, and you've got a super-simple but satisfying dinner. I like this buckwheat crepe recipe (technically a galette, but whatever), especially with a side of tomato soup.

Roasted Asparagus: Is it asparagus season, yet? I may be a little early, still. But this roasted asparagus with lemony breadcrumbs recipe would definitely hit the spot.

Orzo Soup. Bitter greens are the thing to eat in early spring -- so I've heard. They're supposed to clean out the liver. Make that task tasty with this escarole and orzo soup with turkey meatballs. Orzo is that sort of rice-shaped pasta. 

Pad Thai: Okay, this one takes a little more prep and ambition, but it's an easier version of the classic. In fact, this pad Thai recipe was created with kids in mind. It's tangy and a little sweet, crunchy and delicious. I've been using this recipe for years. Below it you'll see a bonus: a chicken stew recipe.

Okay, now you're excited, right? Me too! I think I can handle a little March now.

What do you like to eat around this time of year?

Image via Steve Snodgrass/Flickr