Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Virginia Moms Virginia Moms

Need help!

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 5:55 PM
  • 9 Replies

So we are moving there in 3wks. Hubby is Army. We never had a issue as goes for finding a house off base when it comes to pets. But then again both towns we been in (only rented a off base house 2x, the other times been on base) without banned breeds. We have a mix pitbull. ALL Real Estates in Virginia Beach, and most surounding areas, will not allow this breed. Now people ask "just say she is a mix but dk what or say she is a lab x (we been saying lab x for 8yrs even tho we figured she did have some pit in her and we finally got a genetic test done on her)?"...Answer is because if we signed a contract that has the banned breeds on there and they found out we MIGHT have a pit, they have the right to ask for a test and then when we show them our papers or redo the test (I will not redo cuz of money since we already did it) they can/will kick us out and owe ALOT of money or in some cases they can sue. SO that being said, we are avoiding issues/red flags and doing the right thing, plus telling the truth is the best thing. Some also ask "why dont u get rid of the dog then?"..Answer is...I DO NOT BELIEVE IN GETTING RID OF ANIMALS!! So I will not budge. She is 100% harmless as well..They won't allow recommendations from Vets or temperment tests either...So......do you know of ANY houses/areas (or real estates maybe I missed that WILL allow her)??? I am picky with houses and need something in my taste and that fits us and I can't lower certain standards. Another question I been asked is "why not live on base?"...Answer is becuase they are even banned on there (we lived on 1 base she got grandfathered in, and the other base we lied and did our best to hide her) so rather not go that route either, plus we hate living on base, we are happier off base and will keep it that way. So just seeing if anyone knows of places and such....Thanks!

by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 5:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
LoveonHollySt
by Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Unfortunatly, the pit breed has a really bad rep.  My landlord wouln't even consider it even after I told him about the AKC Good Citizen Certification that we had planned on getting.  I don't know of any places in the Va beach area that would allow pits.  I can a search to try to help though.  What should I look for?

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Mar. 29, 2013 at 8:03 PM

I hope you find a place.

Renee02
by Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Ya I know its really bad anti-banned breeds in that area and its so dumb..I understand ONLY if they ran into a issue sure, but if NEVER experienced anything then no room to talk. So annoying. I need a house that is 2,400 and up sq ft (can not downsize), 4-5 bedroom, 2 bathrooms (or more), ONLY in 2000s yr becuase I hate OLD houses, and $1600-1900 for rent, and that will allow the dog and 1 cat. I been looking for 3mo now but I know each day things pop up. We are arriving in Virginia Beach week of April 22nd..Thanks! I go online looking 2x a day on militarybyowner.com, trulia.com, USAA.com, and AHRN.com..

Quoting LoveonHollySt:

Unfortunatly, the pit breed has a really bad rep.  My landlord wouln't even consider it even after I told him about the AKC Good Citizen Certification that we had planned on getting.  I don't know of any places in the Va beach area that would allow pits.  I can a search to try to help though.  What should I look for?

LoveonHollySt
by Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:00 AM

Does it have to be something on a military sponcered site?  I am not military so I don't know how it works.

Quoting Renee02:

Ya I know its really bad anti-banned breeds in that area and its so dumb..I understand ONLY if they ran into a issue sure, but if NEVER experienced anything then no room to talk. So annoying. I need a house that is 2,400 and up sq ft (can not downsize), 4-5 bedroom, 2 bathrooms (or more), ONLY in 2000s yr becuase I hate OLD houses, and $1600-1900 for rent, and that will allow the dog and 1 cat. I been looking for 3mo now but I know each day things pop up. We are arriving in Virginia Beach week of April 22nd..Thanks! I go online looking 2x a day on militarybyowner.com, trulia.com, USAA.com, and AHRN.com..

Quoting LoveonHollySt:

Mombare
by Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Try WWW.realtor.com, they do rentals as well as sales. WWW.apartments.com, century21, etc.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Rach0307
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:41 PM
Honestly, you may have to lower your standards in neighborhood. The "nicer" neighborhoods in VA Beach are not going to yield you much luck. I have seen many pits in Norfolk, but idk if you'll be able to find a house that suits your taste within a decent budget here (without being in a flood zone). You may want to consult a realtor in the area. In any case, I hope you find a place you like, and hope to see you for a playdate when you get here! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Renee02
by Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 2:33 PM

NO realtors will allow pits that's the issue. Plus we need to live as close as possible to hubbys work. But we can also pass our dog off for something else because of how she aged she aged badly lol so alot of people dont see pit in her (but then again those are unedcuated too lol). We rather live in a nice area verses not, just what we are used to plus safety even tho I know ANY place anything can happen. I lowered my stantords some as is, can't do more lol. It would be easier to just buy a house but we rather not go thru that stressful stuff just for 3yrs and then go thru more to try to rent it out or sell it..

Quoting Rach0307:

Honestly, you may have to lower your standards in neighborhood. The "nicer" neighborhoods in VA Beach are not going to yield you much luck. I have seen many pits in Norfolk, but idk if you'll be able to find a house that suits your taste within a decent budget here (without being in a flood zone). You may want to consult a realtor in the area. In any case, I hope you find a place you like, and hope to see you for a playdate when you get here! :)

Renee02
by Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 2:35 PM

No we are open to anything...JUst its mainly a military town so thats why I go thru alot of military sites. Our 1st house was civi and this huse we are in now is military. We would prefer to stick to miitary mainly because they understand about moving and what not but obviously I am open to anyone.

Quoting LoveonHollySt:

Does it have to be something on a military sponcered site?  I am not military so I don't know how it works.

Quoting Renee02:

Quoting LoveonHollySt:

SabrinaLC
by Sabrina on Apr. 1, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I'm not in that area so I can't really help

Sadly that is one of the many types of dog with a bad rep.  

I hope you find something

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)