Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Introducing me..

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:17 PM
  • 14 Replies

Hello,

I'm in a few groups here on Cafe Mom, but I don't live in Va.   I used to. I currently live in Md, and hate it.   I'm looking to make some new friends in and around the Augusta, Albemarle, and Rockinham Counties in Va.

Iused to live in Staunton, and I loved it there because it was just "slow enough" for me to unwind(I'm kinda wound tight) especially being here in not so Merry land! I'd love it if some of you moms out there in those counties could get me some information about Public Housing available and how long is the waiting list-is it a closed list, etc.

I'm living too close to family here and definitely need to get BACK away from them AGAIN! The family...is NUTS!   Who the heck calls their own grandaughter a Douchebag? Yep, my dd's granfather called her a douchebag on Good Friday. God, I can't stand my F'ed up family!

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SabrinaLC
by Sabrina on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:39 AM

I'm in Frederick County, specifically Stephens City.

I don't really know anything about Public Housing though.  If I hear of anything I'll let you know.

Xat
by Amanda on Apr. 4, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Welcome to the group.

I live in Roanoke city. I don't know much about public housing. I know my brother lives in an income based apartment but it took him two years to get into them.

Morrigan333
by New Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:42 AM

I've been through Stephen's city before, on my way from  Md. to Staunton, Va.  Which is where i'm trying to get back to. Have you heard if there is a "freeze" for public housing? I called once for some information, and they told me I'd have to fill out an application in person. Unfortunately, my car won't make it that far, it's a 1995 and it's on it's last lef. I wouldn't want to "get stuck" somewhere between Baltimore, Md, and there. That wouldn't be good. They won't mailthe applications.

Quoting SabrinaLC:

I don't really know anything about Public Housing though.  If I hear of anything I'll let you know.

Morrigan333
by New Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Thanks!  Wow...2 years, still a ways away. Up here in Md, it's more like 6-7 yrs wait time. The closest I've ever lived to Roanoke is probably Craigsville, Va...and I really didn't like it there. It felt like the town from the movie Deliverance.  I'm just trying to find a way to get away from my f*ked up family.  My father has called my daughter names like Douchebag, Asshole, etc, my mom straight up calls her a bitch. My daughter can't help it that she has "differences".   My daughter's (educational)atty thinks that maybe my daughter has hugh functioning Asperger's Syndrome. She doesn't "get" most social cues, and stufflike that. She's never really ever had a best friend(she's 12) it's been a hard life for her. She's usually excluded in all things social in relation to the kids in the neighborhood. She's been bullied for like 3 1/2 yrs now, and next year could be worse. The bullies that bothered her when she was in 4th(they were in 3rd) will be in the middle school as 6th graders next year. OMG.. You would actually have to see the crap that goes on here with these kids..the parents think their kids are ANGELS. OMFG!

Quoting Xat:

Welcome to the group.

I live in Roanoke city. I don't know much about public housing. I know my brother lives in an income based apartment but it took him two years to get into them.

SabrinaLC
by Sabrina on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Have you looked here?

http://www.hud.gov/local/index.cfm?state=va&topic=renting

Quoting Morrigan333:

I've been through Stephen's city before, on my way from  Md. to Staunton, Va.  Which is where i'm trying to get back to. Have you heard if there is a "freeze" for public housing? I called once for some information, and they told me I'd have to fill out an application in person. Unfortunately, my car won't make it that far, it's a 1995 and it's on it's last lef. I wouldn't want to "get stuck" somewhere between Baltimore, Md, and there. That wouldn't be good. They won't mailthe applications.

Quoting SabrinaLC:

***Sabrina *~* wife to Matt  8/6/05*~*Mommy to Isaac 7/25/06, *~*Liam 7/30/08, *~* and Eban 6/24/10***

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:37 AM

welcome to the group

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I would not stay in an environment by myself so I would not keep my child in one either. have you tried to go into a shelter?

Quoting Morrigan333:

Thanks!  Wow...2 years, still a ways away. Up here in Md, it's more like 6-7 yrs wait time. The closest I've ever lived to Roanoke is probably Craigsville, Va...and I really didn't like it there. It felt like the town from the movie Deliverance.  I'm just trying to find a way to get away from my f*ked up family.  My father has called my daughter names like Douchebag, Asshole, etc, my mom straight up calls her a bitch. My daughter can't help it that she has "differences".   My daughter's (educational)atty thinks that maybe my daughter has hugh functioning Asperger's Syndrome. She doesn't "get" most social cues, and stufflike that. She's never really ever had a best friend(she's 12) it's been a hard life for her. She's usually excluded in all things social in relation to the kids in the neighborhood. She's been bullied for like 3 1/2 yrs now, and next year could be worse. The bullies that bothered her when she was in 4th(they were in 3rd) will be in the middle school as 6th graders next year. OMG.. You would actually have to see the crap that goes on here with these kids..the parents think their kids are ANGELS. OMFG!

Quoting Xat:

Welcome to the group.

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:39 AM

The freeze has been on for years. People were not moving off the list. If you tell them you do not have transportation in, will they make an exception and mail the form?

Quoting Morrigan333:

Quoting SabrinaLC:

dfollin
by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:42 AM
Hi welcome to the group.I live in Fairfax county and I do know the housing list, even the waiting list is closed.
Morrigan333
by New Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Yes, I tried a shelter.  They  have  rules that  would  get  us  kicked out due to my dd's "conditions"ADHD and SPD possible Asperger''s(waiting  to  get evaluated).  One of the rules are.... you  must shut ALL doors   after  you go thru  them(this is  the one  my  dd  would  break  everytime she  goes thru   the  door(adhd-Asperger's?).   My child has left her car door open    (overnight) (i didn't  notice
). She leaves  bbedroon doors open, bbathroom doors open, cabinet doors open, NOTHING EVER goes back to where ever she pulled it out from...etc   no, The shelter would have had us out by the next day. Besides you can only stay 6 wks..that would have done nothing but prolong the inevitable..moving in with my parents.Which is where we are now. My parents don't feel that there's really anything "wrong" with my dd except that she's lazy, disrespectful, rude, and in their words..a BITCH.    By the way   this is what I was called pretty much all my life.

They didn't understand me,(and didn't want to) I was just "lazy, crazy, uncooperative". This is because I had my own mind, and I didn't happen to agree with what they thought. Now, they're starting in on my daughter. These people are just controlling bitch heads themselves. My father seems to feel he is NEVER WRONG. OMFG! REALLY?!  My daughter and I also have anxiety and some depression.  She really doesn't have any friends, and neither did I growing up. I'm reading a book right now  titled Asperger's and Girls. It's giving me a little insight. I have been saying "yes" to a few of the things in the book" like Does dd do______? yes, Does dd care about brand name clothing________? no, So I CAN see some Asperger's like symptoms, but she doesn't blurt out things (anymore)  she still "overshares" sometimes, and then I tell her that that's Inside business..and it's not to be repeated.     My parents act like I wanted a kid like this. OMG! I love my daughter but damn..I'm so not the perfectparent for this job. I'm not that patient, but I'm trying very hard. I stick up for her pretty much everywhere we go, because I have to.    

Quoting virginiamama71:

I would not stay in an environment by myself so I would not keep my child in one either. have you tried to go into a shelter?

Quoting Morrigan333:

Quoting Xat:

Welcome to the group.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)