Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Virginia Moms Virginia Moms

The Cicadas Come to Washington DC, Maryland and Virginia Every 17 Years

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:41 PM
  • 2 Replies

In the eastern half of the United States, periodical cicadas come up out of the ground every 17 years when the ground warms up to 64°F. They are expected to be seen here in the Washington, DC area in May of 2013. They are large insects, about an inch and a half long, with black bodies, red eyes and delicate wings. There are far too many to count. You see them everywhere--on the sidewalk, on the trees, on the porch, on the street.

Cicadas of the same life cycle are known collectively as a single "brood". There are 12 broods of 17-year cicadas. As a result, it is possible to find cicadas in almost any year by traveling to the appropriate location. The group expected in the capital region this spring, known as Brood 2, are the offspring of cicadas last seen in 1996.

Usually in early to mid-May, the cicada nymphs crawl out of the ground, onto trees and shed their skins. The males sing very loudly to attract female mates. The females lay their eggs in the branches of trees. The nymphs hatch and burrow several inches underground. The above ground cycle lasts less than four weeks. Beginning in mid-June, the adults all die. Male cicadas die soon after mating. Females lay 400 to 600 eggs before they die.

Fortunately, Cidadas don't bite or sting so they're not harmful to people or pets. They generally leave no lasting damage, except possibly to young trees and shrubs. They are annoying to most, though some people find them and their unique life cycle to be fascinating.

Read More About the Broods of the Periodic Cicada

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:42 PM

mimi0815
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 5:49 AM

I couldve sworn its been less than 17 years since the last time this happened. Ive been at my job for 12 years and  I remember them being here shortly after I started ...hmm oh well they  dont bother me as long as they dont get stuck on my wind shield :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)