Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Government Shutdown, Again?

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 7:37 PM
  • 30 Replies

Do you have a government employee in your family?

My DH works for the government.  I wish the House would get its act together.  The president already said he would veto any spending bill that had lines in it that were specific the Affordable Care Act("ObamaCare").  My DH has not gotten a pay increase for 3 years, but yet everything else is going up.  I know I should be glad that he still has a job, but I am pissed.  

Do they want the govenment to close?  How many non-goverment jobs will be affected to?  The President has said that he will veto it, but it has been sent to the Senate anyway(and it is unlikely to pass there).  Get a clue, even many in his party are telling him to "put up or shut up".  

If he is really that against "ObamaCare", he can keep fighting it, but leave it out of the spending bill.

This is not a debate about the Affordable Care Act, but the impending government shut down.  Will you or any one you know be affected by a shut down?

by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 7:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nova.mommy
by Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 9:04 AM

BUMP!

KelliansMom
by Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 9:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Im just tired of them playing games and adding things they dont like to bills that they know the other side will not approve and in the end cause more issues for the rest of us. 

nova.mommy
by Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 9:14 AM

I heard on the radio this morning that the Republicans pushing this thought they would make the President the bad guy because he would veto the bill, but it back fired.  It doesn't look like the Senate will pass it, so the President won't even get it.

I am sick of this 'party' crap.  This is peoples lives they are playing with.  I don't think they have a clue how important the government workers are to/mean in this area.

Quoting KelliansMom:

Im just tired of them playing games and adding things they dont like to bills that they know the other side will not approve and in the end cause more issues for the rest of us. 

KelliansMom
by Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 9:16 AM

I understand that they will not always get along or agree on things ...but man it seems like in the last six years or so they have really become like children and are fully refusing to work together and forgetting about those that put them into office. Its just sad really

Quoting nova.mommy:

I heard on the radio this morning that the Republicans pushing this thought they would make the President the bad guy because he would veto the bill, but it back fired.  It doesn't look like the Senate will pass it, so the President won't even get it.

I am sick of this 'party' crap.  This is peoples lives they are playing with.  I don't think they have a clue how important the government workers are to/mean in this area.

Quoting KelliansMom:

nova.mommy
by Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 9:22 AM

I think they forgot how/what a compromise is.

The definition of a compromise is when two sides give up some demands to meet somewhere in the middle. 

Quoting KelliansMom:

I understand that they will not always get along or agree on things ...but man it seems like in the last six years or so they have really become like children and are fully refusing to work together and forgetting about those that put them into office. Its just sad really

Quoting nova.mommy:

Quoting KelliansMom:

dingysfamily
by Suzi on Sep. 22, 2013 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this

My opinion .... some of those high paid goverment officials need to take a pay cut and put some of that money back into the economy.  Those guys have such high salaries and the absolute best in health care, they have nothing to worry about.

xanadu96
by Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:35 PM
I don't think they know important the government workers are anywhere in VA unless it benefits them. They gave state workers a 2% raise, but that's not even a cost-of-living raise. And then they tell us that we can't hire anyone due to budget issues but we can't serve the public without hiring people. I won't even say what Obamacare has done to screw up our health care because I'm pretty certain I'm not the only that's had to make changes.
Mombare
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 9:35 AM
Not only does this budget shit effect government workers, but also ALL of the people on Social Security. Every year they threaten to stop paying benefits and that is the one thing Government shouldn't have any effect on. Social Security was set up as a totally different budget, and sometime around 1970-1980, the government borrowed against that money. So basically they are trying to figure a way to pay it back!! Also SSA has only gotten one 2.5% pay increase in the last FIVE years.
I agree that US government should take a pay cut!! I honestly think that the President should NOT draw a paycheck after he is replaced in office. Every past President is continuing to draw a paycheck until they die.
babyspots17
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:03 AM

My husbands work just let go 10 people I believe and are looking to cut a few more.  He is a government contractor so although he doesn't work directly for the government it definitely effects his job. 

nova.mommy
by Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 9:23 AM

I heard on the radio this morning that Congress is trying to blame this all on the President for 'spending so frivolously.'  But that got me thinking, don't they need to approve any spending the President(no matter who or what party) whats to enact?  Doesn't some of the blame fall on them too?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)