Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Virginia Moms Virginia Moms

Do You Have the Best Schools?

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:43 AM
  • 10 Replies

Good morning and Happy Monday!!!

I am looking to move to VA in 2015 (middle school) and want to know from moms what school district is the best. Reply with your school district and tell me why they are the best. Thank you in advance. 

by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
garjain
by garjain on Mar. 25, 2014 at 8:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Take a look at the FCPS (Fairfax county public school) school district.... They are supposedly the best, my kids go there. When we moved to this area that's what we were told and my kids are going there from last 11 years.

But even in the school district you have to see which schools are doing good. This is a big county and there are lots of school. See the ratings of the school before you move. The school in our side is not that good.

amylou111
by Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 8:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I think overall, Virginia has a good school system out of all the states, esp ones that i lived in. Culpeper here! culpeperschools.org

dingysfamily
by Suzi on Mar. 25, 2014 at 11:08 AM

I don't have kids in school any longer, but my kids went to school in Fauquier County and we have been very satisfied with them.  It's also a great place to live!  http://www.fauquiercounty.gov/

That link will give you info about the schools and the county in general.

nova.mommy
by Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 1:16 PM
1 mom liked this

This was one of the top concerns DH and I had when we moved before we had kids. FCPS is great!

EDIT:  We looked at several places, Fairfax county won.  We paid a bit more for the house, but having quality schools was worth it. 

Quoting garjain:

Take a look at the FCPS (Fairfax county public school) school district.... They are supposedly the best, my kids go there. When we moved to this area that's what we were told and my kids are going there from last 11 years.

But even in the school district you have to see which schools are doing good. This is a big county and there are lots of school. See the ratings of the school before you move. The school in our side is not that good.

Erin_nel_mom
by New Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Loudoun county schools.... Fairfax county is good as well
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Apr. 16, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Quoting Erin_nel_mom: Loudoun county schools.... Fairfax county is good as well

Alyssasmommy412
by Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 5:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Even in each county there are going to be good schools and bad schools. I live in Loudoun County and the school my DD goes to now is average, the one were going to next year is above and the neighborhood right behind ours goes to the worst. 

You really have to look at each school individually. I've been happy with Loudoun County and I really like the principal at my DD's school. I'm hoping the principal at the new school is just as good. 

Look where the job is located, how long you Dh and yourself want to commute, how affordable the housing is as well as the individual schools. Also look up on the county website for the schools because sometimes the closest school isn't the school your home will go to.

Good luck

cupcake_mom
by Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 5:21 PM
Why are you moving here? What part are you moving to? DO NOT SEND YOU KID TO ANY NORFOLK SCHOOL!!!!!!
Alyssia89
by New Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 9:44 PM
York county has some of the highest rated schools in hampton roads. My dd goes to YES
123allyxox
by New Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 8:40 PM
We are in Arlington and the kids haven't started school yet, but most of the schools in the are are very highly rated!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)