Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does President Obama need the support of the unions in Ohio?

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 12:21 PM
  • 9 Replies

President Obama will speak at the United Auto Workers Labor Day picnic in Toledo today.

Do you think the President needs the support of the unions in order to 'swing' Ohio his way?

by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 12:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
BengalsN.Browns
by Member on Sep. 3, 2012 at 7:47 PM
I was watching on the news earlier.
If I'm not mistaken, the labor unions historically back democratic candidates.
I wonder if Romney will make as many visits here as the president is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angieluvsolivia
by Angie on Sep. 3, 2012 at 10:16 PM

I don't think it would hurt.  Of course I'm biased my husband is a union electrician.

Channell07
by Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 8:17 AM

My husband is a union electrician, also.  I think it can't hurt.  They will most likely back him anyway as the Republicans are out to disband the unions and lower pay.  I don't see any union families voting that way....

Quoting angieluvsolivia:

I don't think it would hurt.  Of course I'm biased my husband is a union electrician.

angieluvsolivia
by Angie on Sep. 4, 2012 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Definately agreed.  There of course are other reasons why our family won't be voting that way but, I certainly can't vote for someone that wants to leave my husband without a way to support us.  He's been union for almost 20 years.

Quoting Channell07:

My husband is a union electrician, also.  I think it can't hurt.  They will most likely back him anyway as the Republicans are out to disband the unions and lower pay.  I don't see any union families voting that way....

Quoting angieluvsolivia:

runner426
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 10:37 AM

I don't think it can hurt. They might tend to vote that way anyhow, but it's nice to feel valued by a candidate.

johnny4ever
by Tracy on Sep. 4, 2012 at 11:39 AM

good

Quoting runner426:

I don't think it can hurt. They might tend to vote that way anyhow, but it's nice to feel valued by a candidate.

johnny4ever
by Tracy on Sep. 4, 2012 at 11:39 AM

I was actually impressed by his speech

DirtyHippyMama
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Not sure. Probably

Jambo4
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I think Romney's labor ideas are pretty good.  What do you think?

2012 Economic Plan

Governor Romney made labor policy a central facet of economic plan for the 2012 presidency. In that plan, Governor Romney lists criticisms of President Obama's actions relating to labor. First, Governor Romney notes that President Obama has been pushing for the Card Check legislation which he says is an effort to repay labor forces for the 2008 election by providing a mechanism to garner more members.

As further prrof of paybacks, Governor Romney notes that President Obama intervined in the GM bankruptcy to provide special favoritism to UAW beyond the law. The plan is also critical of President Obama's executive order after taking office that encouranging Project Labor Agreements (PLAs) in government contracting.

Finally, Governor Romney opposes the actions of the NLRB in bringing a lawsuit against Boeing for moving a plant to South Carolina and its efforts to implement "snap elections" in which employers have as little as ten days in which to organize a counter-campaign after union organizers formally filed a petition to vote.

In presenting his platform on labor, Governor Romney pledges to appoint members to the National Labor Relations Board that will not exceed their authority, such as in the Boeing case. He also pledges to oppose the Employee Free Choice Act.

Finally, Governor Romney states that he will send a bill to Congress that prohibits the use of mandatory union dues for political purposes. He asserts that practice is fundamentally inconsistent with democratic principles and that there is no legitimate reason for employees to face automatic paycheck deductions for political expenditures that they may not support.

“Unfortunately, some union CEOs are less concerned 

about an industry’s competitiveness than they are 

with how many of their union’s jobs they can protect, 

how much they can increase wages, and how they can 

impose even more favorable work rules. In some cases, 

this mind-set has contributed to companies or to entire 

industries falling so badly behind their competition 

that they lose market share or fail altogether, resulting 

in even greater job losses.”  

(Mitt Romney, No Apology)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)