Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ohio Moms Ohio Moms

New Report: Sixty Percent of Ohioans Will Be Obese

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 8:00 AM
  • 1 Replies

In a disturbing annual report by the non-profit health organization Trust for America's Health it is estimated that by 2030, over sixty percent of Ohioans will be obese.

The Columbus Dispatch reported this morning that Ohio was ranked 13th, in a tie with Kansas for its 29.6 percent adult obesity rate in 2011. Colorado was ranked least obese, at 20.7 percent, and Mississippi was ranked most obese at 34.9 percent of adults.

According to the T.A.H report. "In 2006, obesity-related medical costs totaled $147 billion a year, or nearly 10 percent of total medical spending, according to a 2011 study in Health Affairs. The bulk of the spending is generated from treating obesity-related diseases, such as diabetes.

"Our nation has made important inroads to creating healthier communities," said Risa Lavizzo-Mourey, MD, MBA, RWJF president and CEO. "Some cities and states that have taken comprehensive action to address the epidemic are beginning to see declines in their obesity rates. But we need to expand and intensify our efforts. Investing in prevention today will mean a healthier tomorrow for our children."

This section indicates that Ohioans are not doing enough to create a healthier state. This is really scary. A sixty percent obesity rate is a public health crisis if I've ever heard of one. I have a personal stake in this as I am overweight. I have been slowly getting back to a healthier weight after almost back to back pregnancies. I want to teach my kids healthy eating habits so that they don't have the same struggles that I do right now.

Do you talk to your kids about healthy eating and exercise? How do you teach them healthy habits? What do you think is the biggest obstacle to eating healthy? 

© iStockphoto.com/[ 

by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 8:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
johnny4ever
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 8:30 AM

hmmm

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)