Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ohio Moms Ohio Moms

Ohioans Effected By Spinach Recall

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 1:49 PM
  • 2 Replies

Big Spinach Recall May Make You Toss Your Salad

Posted by Adriana Velez

spinachWelp, it's been a few weeks since our last greens recall and you know what that means: Time for a new greens recall! This time it's spinach. Kroger is recalling its spinach in 15 states because of possible salmonella contamination. Oh joy.

Sorry if I sound a little flippant. It's just that the salad/lettuce/spinach recalls come so regularly it's kind of ridiculous. I guess at some point I should just accept frequent recalls as Part Of Our Modern Life. But it still sucks. And I'm still sticking with small, locally-grown produce as much as possible. Anyhoo! Here's the 411 on that recalled spinach.

The recall is for "Fresh Selections Tender Spinach" sold in 10-ounce packages with a "use by" date of September 16. In addition to Kroger's groceries, the spinach was sold at Jay C, Owen's, Pay Less, Scott's, Food 4 Less, Dillons, Baker's, and Gerbes stores. And the states where the recall is in effect are: Alabama, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia.

More from The Stir: Latest Bagged Salad Recall Sparks New Fears: Is Your Lettuce at Risk?

If you've got a bag of spinach answering to this description, haul that bag back to the store for a refund or replacement. This would be a great time to explore a whole new green, like mizuna or tatsoi. Oh there's a whole world of leafy greens waiting for your dinner plate.

Now let's sing along with Popeye: "I'm strong to the finich cause I eats me spinach, I'm Popeye the sailor -- ooh, me belly, it hurts!" You will not be strong to the finich if you eats this spinach, so check your refrigerators!

Does your family eat a lot of fresh spinach?

by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 1:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
johnny4ever
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Seen this on news

mem82
by Representative on Sep. 21, 2012 at 7:16 PM

You just cant trust prebagged salad anymore!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)