Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ohio Moms Ohio Moms

What Was Your Reaction to the Presidential Debate Last Night?

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:25 AM
  • 14 Replies

Big Bird, Jim Lehrer, and More in Our Post-Debate Google Hangout! (VIDEO)

Posted by Lindsay Ferrier

Google HangoutWas Jim Lehrer asleep? Was President Obama yearning for his teleprompter? Will Big Bird be fired if Mitt Romney is elected president?

These are the burning questions after last night's debate-- and these topics (and MANY more) were discussed after the debate during our Moms Matter Google Hangout.

This time around, we heard from political bloggers Nadia Jones and Christine Luhnow, as well as The Stir blogger Adriana Velez.

Click through to see what they had to say!

I don't know about you, but I'm loving these Google Hangouts. It's great hearing others' perspectives, seeing issues from their respective points-of-view, and proving that women CAN disagree and still be civil and polite. Yes. Even on The Stir.

I knew this could happen! I KNEW IT!

What did you think of the debate? Let us know in the comments! And tell us which blogger you'd like to see in an upcoming Google Hangout!

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Gena0406
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this

First of all, they need a new moderator- I thought he was awful.  Secondly, it's really hard to be swayed when the candidates use inaccurate or skewed information to support their arguments.  It was entertaining, but also frustrating!

ba13ygrl1987
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:16 AM
The moderator needed to be fired. Both candidates walked all over him. There was no point to a moderator by the end of the night. Romney was rude, shouting over people to make his innacurate points and obama looked lost and confused. It didn't change how I plan on voting but I was extremely disappointed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GleeFan
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:35 AM

I was disappointed in the moderator as well. Each segment ran well over the alloted time. 

I am still looking forward to the rest of the debates though. I have a feeling the other moderators are going to be looking at this and definitely taking a more stern approach for the coming debates.

mommyfrey83
by Tianna on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:29 PM

It was nice to hear some real talking, not just political ads. I don't think it changed my vote though. 

BengalsN.Browns
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:32 PM

I agree. It was great to hear them talk. Not the prepared speeches but REAL think on your feet, answer as you are asked, speaking.

Quoting mommyfrey83:

It was nice to hear some real talking, not just political ads. I don't think it changed my vote though. 

johnny4ever
by Tracy on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Didnt watch

spicemom101
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:12 PM
3 moms liked this

A nun at my school used to say, "Empty drums make the most noise", and boy! Romney definitely made the most noise.  Unfortunately, that's all he did.  If you were listening, it was more of the same from Romney, just packaged alot louder. 

It obviously scared the heck of Mr. Lehrer so much so that he forgot he was in charge.

mom_to_travis
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:50 PM

I completely agree.  I think he wanted to look assertive, but it crossed the line into aggression.  He was totally disrespectful to Jim Lehrer, and of the rules and constraints of the debate in general.  He said a lot of words, but they lacked substance.  We didn't get any details or specifics, and in fact he actually flip flopped yet again on many things, reversing his previous stance on may issues. 

Quoting spicemom101:

A nun at my school used to say, "Empty drums make the most noise", and boy! Romney definitely made the most noise.  Unfortunately, that's all he did.  If you were listening, it was more of the same from Romney, just packaged alot louder. 

It obviously scared the heck of Mr. Lehrer so much so that he forgot he was in charge.

mom_to_travis
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:51 PM

I respect Jim Lehrer as a news person, but as a moderator you have got to keep control of the goings-on.  He failed last night.

mom_to_travis
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:52 PM

No, it didn't change my mind or my vote either.

Quoting mommyfrey83:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)