Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Super-PACs Spending Millions in Ohio

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:00 AM
  • 8 Replies

So far super PACs have spent over 19 million dollars in Ohio in an attempt to unseat Sherrod Brown.  The money was spent on TV and radio ads and has been at work for over a year now. What makes this more interesting is that these super PACs have been in Ohio trying to discredit and bring down Brown before he ever even had a challenger in the race.

It is the most money being spent in any state by super Pacs. The 19 million coming from conservative super PACs and other third-party groups linked to corporations and Republican strategist Karl Rove, some using money from undisclosed donors. They have strategized that by weakening Brown they also can indirectly weaken President Obama.

More important, however, is the seat itself.

The Plain Dealer reports: "They were thrown to soften up Brown early, in anticipation of a knockout this November. Democrats control 53 seats in the 100-member Senate, and if conservative groups could weaken Brown and just a few other incumbents, they could give Senate control to the Republicans.

Yet that strategy is at risk of failing. As of late August, the outside spending had weakened Brown and vaulted Mandel to a tie in two statewide Ohio polls, but a slew of newer polls suggest that Brown is not as vulnerable as he appeared around Labor Day.

That is not to say the race is over. Mandel says his internal polls are encouraging. He told supporters Tuesday that "we're in a dead heat battle."

I'm not the only one that believes Super PACs are untrustworthy. I find them unsavory and misleading from both sides of the political aisle. They even straight up lie. It bothers me that they are allowed to go mostly unregulated. And while it won't help this time around, I am so happy to see legislation being drafted to regulate these very secretive and powerful organizations. When I think of a super Pac I think money bags fat cats behind the scenes trying to manipulate the American people to do as they want them to. It angers me. I will be happy to see more regulation in the future. But for now, buckle up Ohio we've still got a month of these ads to sift through and decipher who is telling the truth.

What do you think about super PACs? Do they need more regulation? Or do you think they are within their rights to do as they please? Why/Why Not? 

© iStockphoto.com/[Charles Mann]

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
GleeFan
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:47 PM

While I dont pretend to be an expert on Super PACs I do know that they are relatively unregulated. That is too much power to have without a proper checks and balance system, if you will.

I will be happy to see legislation in the near future. I think they need to be transparent.

BengalsN.Browns
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:11 PM

I think your description of 'money bag fat cats' is pretty spot on.

mom_to_travis
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Regulation is desperately needed.  They should not be able to wield so much political power with their huge amounts of money.

mom_to_travis
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:19 PM

I think so too.

Quoting BengalsN.Browns:

arpazia
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:06 PM
"It" really should be regulated,really is unnerving
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
arpazia
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:07 PM
:O yes!

Quoting BengalsN.Browns:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
arpazia
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:57 PM
Exactly!

Quoting GleeFan:

While I dont pretend to be an expert on Super PACs I do know that they are relatively unregulated. That is too much power to have without a proper checks and balance system, if you will.

I will be happy to see legislation in the near future. I think they need to be transparent.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ba13ygrl1987
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:14 PM
Agreed

Quoting arpazia:

Exactly!

Quoting GleeFan:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)