Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ohio Moms Ohio Moms

Issue 2

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:54 PM
  • 13 Replies

I just heard a little bit about it on the news. Anyone know more about it? Will you be voting yes or no?

Issue 2 wiki

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JoeyJrsMomma
by Carrie on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:54 AM

I have not heard much about it. I haven't heard much about any issues on the ballot this year. I need to find a website that lists them all so I can read up on them. I have to be honest, after reading this one, I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing. I'm just not understanding why they need to do a redistricting. 

ba13ygrl1987
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Some people believe the redistricting that took place was basically a conspiracy to get more republicans then democrats in the senate. I honestly think it's a stretch of a theory and am not really sure how I will vote on the issue. But I've had people knock on my door more then once telling me we need to redistrict in order to bring fairness back to Ohio. Im not sure whether i agree.

Quoting JoeyJrsMomma:

I have not heard much about it. I haven't heard much about any issues on the ballot this year. I need to find a website that lists them all so I can read up on them. I have to be honest, after reading this one, I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing. I'm just not understanding why they need to do a redistricting. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bpryce
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:10 AM
Dh and i read a non partisan report about it online yesterday, we also read the views on both sides of the issue. We are voting yes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bpryce
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:11 AM
1 mom liked this
Votesmart.org their are only 2 state issues to vote on this year. This is a non partisan website btw

Quoting JoeyJrsMomma:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lcat
by Linda on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for passing on the site to find out what is what before you decide.  Really will help me.

Quoting bpryce:

Votesmart.org their are only 2 state issues to vote on this year. This is a non partisan website btw

Quoting JoeyJrsMomma:

JoeyJrsMomma
by Carrie on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you for the information! I will definitely look into it so I can try to make an educated decision.

Quoting bpryce:

Quoting JoeyJrsMomma:

i.heart.myboys
by Amber on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:29 PM
Haven't heard much but will read about it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyfrey83
by Tianna on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Haven't heard much, these things all confuse me.

mem82
by Representative on Oct. 13, 2012 at 5:22 PM

I usually read up on the state issues a bit closer to the election.

Ichthus
by Member on Oct. 26, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Here is a website that had the pros and cons of Issue 2. I think I'm going to vote yes because all of the groups opposed to it seem like they would have political interests in it NOT being passed.

http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/Ohio_Redistricting_Amendment,_Issue_2_%282012%29

Support

• Voters First is the main group in favor of the measure. The organization spearheaded the initiative effort.
  • According to Catherine Turcer, chair of Voters First, at the time of the signature submission deadline on July 4, 2012, "We're celebrating Independence Day the way that you should. Thinking about our forefathers; thinking about the quality of our vote; thinking about what we as voters can do to actually make a difference."[3]

Arguments

The following are arguments submitted to the Ohio Secretary of State in favor of the measure:

• "When it comes to how Ohio’s districts are created, the current system is not balanced, not transparent and not accountable to We the People."
  • "The current system allows politicians to play by their own rules. Every ten years, they get together in backrooms—out of the public eye—and draw district lines to help ensure that their own political party holds on to power."
  • "Ohio needs this reform, so neither party can rig the system to their own advantage."
  • "The only way to take back control of our government is to change the system."

Opposition

Opponents

The following are opponents of the measure:[4]

• The Ohio Farm Bureau Federation
  • The Ohio Manufacturers' Association
  • The Ohio Judicial Conference
  • The Ohio Chamber of Commerce

Arguments

• The Cincinnati USA Regional chamber stated, "Oppose Ohio Issue 2, Ohio Redistricting: The Ohio redistricting amendment, if passed, will establish a 12-person citizen commission to draw General Assembly and congressional districts following the decennial census. The Chamber opposes Issue 2 and urges a “no” vote because it removes accountability to voters. If passed, Issue 2 would replace elected officials with an unelected, unaccountable, citizen commission with unlimited funds to redraw congressional and General Assembly district lines, while excluding some Ohioans from serving on the commission."[5]

The following are arguments submitted to the Ohio Secretary of State in opposition of the measure:

• "This large new government bureaucracy can demand unlimited tax dollars to operate."
  • "Commission members set their own salaries."
  • "The commission can hire a large permanent staff and dozens of expensive lawyers and political consultants."
  • "Vote No on Issue 2. It forces taxpayers to give nearly UNLIMITED FUNDING to an UNELECTED and UNACCOUNTABLE commission."
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)