Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Akron Marathon Runner Dies and Lives to Tell

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 8:00 AM
  • 3 Replies

An amazing thing happened during the Akron marathon on September 29th. Perfectly healthy runner, Tony Lindeman, a 46-year-old Doylestown councilman, FirstEnergy analyst and father of two teenage girls, dropped dead in the middle of the race. And then was brought back to life.  

When he woke in the Emergency Room of Akron City Hospital he had no idea what had just happened to him. The nurses would tell him that he had died and been brought back to life by a fellow runner.

Heather Pariso , a  34-year-old surgical nurse from Coventry Township, was running the first leg of her team relay when she saw Lindeman run onto the sidewalk and collapse. "I just thought he tripped on uneven pavement," she said. "I went to him right away, but as soon as I got to him, I saw he hadn't tripped."

She then turned his lifeless body onto his back and instinctively placed the heel of her palm on his chest and manually pumped his heart. Other runners stopped to help. Amazingly they too are medical professionals. One performed mouth to mouth resuscitation while another called 911.

Lindeman was taken to Akron City Hospital where doctors found no blockage and no heart disease. Lindeman is now a part of the mysterious 2% of heart attack patients whose hearts stop without explanation. 

Also interesting is that this year was the first time the Akron Marathon required CPR training for its volunteers. This is now something they will do every year.

As I read this story I was blown away by the quick and perfect reaction of strangers. I was also struck by a lesson. You never know when or where CPR training could save a life.  While it's true that you may never need it, I never want to be in a situation when I need it but didn't get trained. So I scheduled my refresher class yesterday after reading this. 

Have you been CPR/ First Aid  trained? Have you talked to your kids about responding to emergency situations? 

©iStockphoto.com/[Johan Swanepoel]

by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 8:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
phantomphan
by Member on Oct. 17, 2012 at 9:44 AM
Yes. I am trained in CPR. Its required where I work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
toopicky429
by Jackie on Oct. 17, 2012 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes, I'm a nurse, so I renew it every two years. I used to also have my ACLS which is basically abvanced CPR, but I let that one lapse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BengalsN.Browns
by Member on Oct. 17, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Oh wow!!

Luckily all those medical professionals were there and acted quickly.

I am CPR certified, but it needs to be renewed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)