Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ohio Moms Ohio Moms

Censoring Santa Claus?

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 10:43 AM
  • 8 Replies

'Twas the Night Before Christmas' Is Re-Written Because Santa's Pipe-Smoking Scars Kids for Life

Posted by Jacqueline Burt

twas night before cmasDon't let that whole "jolly" thing fool you: Santa Claus is one badass mutha, on a mission to corrupt our youth! Or so Pamela McColl seems to think. That's why the self-published Canadian author spent $200,000 of her own money putting out a smoke-free version of Clement C. Moore's classic 1823 poem "A Visit from St. Nicholas" (or, as everybody in the universe actually calls it, "Twas the Night Before Christmas"), in which the following two stanzas are deleted: "The stump of a pipe he held tight in his teeth/and the smoke it encircled his head like a wreath."

Says McColl: “No one can backtrack now. Santa has stopped smoking, and 2012 is the year he quit, and there’s nothing anyone can do about it.” Um ... okay. Simmer down, lady!

So, I have some issues with this. 

Apart from the obvious -- like, McColl's tampering with one of the most famous and beloved poems in the English language is blatant censorship -- I'm also, to be honest, kind of confused about something.

Namely, does McColl really think kids are influenced to start smoking because of ... Santa? I mean, kids love Santa. Sure. But they don't generally look up to him as an icon of cool, you know? Of course they want to get on his good side so he'll bring them stuff, but have you ever heard a kid say anything about wanting to be just like Santa when they grow up? He's not a sports hero or a rapper or, I don't know, James Dean. Never has the following argument taken place as a kid left for school in the morning:

Mom: "Wait, you can't go to school looking like that! Your clothes are filthy!"

Kid: "But mom, all the cool kids wear clothes all tarnished in ashes and soot!"

Plus, have you ever met a kid who smoked a pipe? Pipes are for grandpas and professors and ... Santa Claus, not kids!

Gimme a break. At this rate, Bloomberg's revision will be next. Goodbye, belly that shook when he laughed like a bowl full of jelly.

Do you think Santa's pipe-smoking is a bad influence?

Do you think this is censorship?

by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 10:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
ba13ygrl1987
by Bronze Member on Oct. 17, 2012 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Bahahahahahah ...."but mom all the cool kids wear clothes all tarnished in ashes and soot". Bahahahahahah .... omg i can't stop laughing.
As Kelly from Live with Kelly stated never in the history of parenting has a parent asked their teenager "why did you start smoking" and they responded "santa". This woman is stupid. And I'm thankfully I own the original poem and will continue to read it to my children on christmas eve. And if they so choose to smoke when they're older it will not be because of santa. I promise.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
toopicky429
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this
It is censorship. It's very simple to explain to children that when the poem was written people didn't know smoking was bad for their health, and if my children ever ask I will explain that to them without editing the original author's work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyfrey83
by Tianna on Oct. 17, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Oh jeez, what a joke. I don't think there is any reason to take that part out of the poem. 

BengalsN.Browns
by Member on Oct. 17, 2012 at 1:27 PM

I read this to my kiddos every year and will continue to do so. I am NOT going to amend or censor the story for them. They dont even pay attention to the pipe..lol

johnny4ever
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 2:58 PM
What a joke!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PeaceLoveZ
by Member on Oct. 17, 2012 at 4:12 PM

That's so dumb.
Some people ahve too much time on their hands!

jomami
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Quoting PeaceLoveZ:

That's so dumb.
Some people ahve too much time on their hands!

Yup!

GleeFan
by Bronze Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 8:36 AM

People will complain about anything.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)