Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ohio Moms Ohio Moms

Ohio GOP Votes to Defund Planned Parenthood

In a move being called an "attack for ideological reasons", a vote split down party lines yesterday approved legislation that will strip Planned Parenthood of about 2 million dollars annually. The bill (HB 298) now heads to the House floor.

HB 298 passed despite the House being packed with doctors, patients and advocates voicing opposition to the bill. The common theme being that Planned Parenthood serves the poor and marginalized. Taking away services only hurts the already vulnerable populations in our state. Some testified that defunding Planned Parenthood could mean that poor women will not seek needed medical care elsewhere which will cause more health problems and unintended pregnancies and that those things cost the state more in the end.

After hearing all of the testimony in opposition to the bill, not one Republican changed their vote. "The losers in this are the women who need to access basic, fundamental health care," said Rep. Nickie Antonio, a Lakewood Democrat.

As reported in the Plain Dealer: "Other stand-alone family planning groups also would lose funding, testified Mary Wynne-Peaspanen, executive director of Family Planning Advocates of Northeast Ohio. Her Painesville-based organization stands to lose $90,000, and there isn't anyone to pick up the slack in her immediate area, she said."

This has me worried for the future of Planned Parenthood in Ohio. More importantly, I am worried for the women that will be turned away for medical care because of it.  It is so obviously a political move and smacks of the privileged taking from those who cannot defend themselves; the poor. It's punitive.  I am angry that the reasons for this kind of legislation are so blatantly religious ones. When we blend church and state all that is left is oppression - just ask the women living under the Taliban. Planned Parenthood is not an evil abortion factory. It is a medical facility that cares for women's health and saves women's lives.

What are your thoughts on HB 298? What are your thoughts on Planned Parenthood? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/[Sean Locke]

by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:00 AM
Replies (11-13):
mostlymaydays
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:49 AM
What's the difference between our taxes paying for the woman to go to an ER versus our tax money paying for her to go to PP?

Quoting ba13ygrl1987:

They provide basic medical care at little to no cost for women who can't afford an ob/gyn. Yearly pap exams, breast exams, cervical screening for cancer, ultra sounds and scans for things like pcnos. They are way more then free birth control and this will hurt many women. What's going to happen is women will not be able to afford a breast exam so they will use the er as their dr when they feel a lump, then you'll pay for it with your tax dollars because the er can't legally turn them away. If the assholes in the gop would just keep their opinions where it matters these women would continue to pay on a sliding scale based on income.

Quoting horsesteelers:

What all does planned parenthood do? I thought they just did pregnancy test but it sounds like they do more. I could live without them. We have a doctor we can just go to.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
EthansMomma2010
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this
Cost of care

Quoting mostlymaydays:

What's the difference between our taxes paying for the woman to go to an ER versus our tax money paying for her to go to PP?

Quoting ba13ygrl1987:

They provide basic medical care at little to no cost for women who can't afford an ob/gyn. Yearly pap exams, breast exams, cervical screening for cancer, ultra sounds and scans for things like pcnos. They are way more then free birth control and this will hurt many women. What's going to happen is women will not be able to afford a breast exam so they will use the er as their dr when they feel a lump, then you'll pay for it with your tax dollars because the er can't legally turn them away. If the assholes in the gop would just keep their opinions where it matters these women would continue to pay on a sliding scale based on income.

Quoting horsesteelers:

What all does planned parenthood do? I thought they just did pregnancy test but it sounds like they do more. I could live without them. We have a doctor we can just go to.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ba13ygrl1987
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:05 PM
What ethanamomma said. PP is cheaper. For everyone. Just like blood work done at your dr.'s is cheaper then bloodwork done at the ER. Many women use PP as their female (ob/gyn) dr.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Quoting ba13ygrl1987:

Quoting horsesteelers:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)