Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ohio Moms Ohio Moms

Just For Fun: What Is The Most Non-Traditional Thing You're Thankful For?

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:59 AM
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this

16 Things I'm Ashamed to Admit I'm Thankful For

Posted by Jenny Isenman

Yesterday, I was sent a group email asking me to list things I’m thankful for that aren’t traditional, like: "my family," "food on the table," etc. Other moms on the email tree were coming back with beautiful sentiments about new friendships, the help of strangers, and averting disasters.

I didn’t respond because everything I thought of seemed trite, superficial, and a tad less profound.  However, I did write a list, and frankly, I'll share it with you because these things totally deserve thanks in my book -- just refrain from saying them around the dinner table.

1. I am thankful for the dimmer switch in my bedroom.

2. I am thankful that I keep a pair of tweezers in my car.

3. I am thankful my daughter has not lost faith in the tooth fairy, and my son goes along with it.

4. I am thankful I didn't have an affair with the head of the CIA.

5. I am thankful for Homeland -- somehow that red-headed guy is really sexy?!

6. I am thankful for those awesome skinny hangers that make my closet seem bigger.

7. I am thankful for stars like Courteney Cox, Jennifer Aniston, and J.Lo., who make 40 seem not so old.

8. I am thankful for The Voice, but mostly Adam Levine (who I've realized is the Jewish mom's Jon Hamm).

9. I am thankful for the pictures of Jon Hamm's penis that are still circulating on the Internet (even though "Hamm" is not kosher).

10. I am thankful for indoor plumbing and electricity (see Sandy).

11. I am thankful my kids have figured out how to buckle seat belts, wipe themselves, and use step stools to reach things.

12. I am thankful they still ask me to lie with them at bedtime.

13. I am thankful burgundy is the new black -- it's really the unsung hero of slimming colors.

14. I am thankful Lisa Whelchel was on Survivor -- I'd been waiting for a comeback since The Facts of Life (fingers crossed they get Tootie next season).

15. I am thankful that Fifty Shades of Grey brought vibrators into the bedroom.

16. I am thankful for the $20 bill I found in my jeans yesterday -- that's always exciting.

I'm thankful for traditional stuff too, but it's super cathartic to mention the stuff that might get you kicked out of Thanksgiving dinner.

Try it, I promise not to judge.

What is the most nontraditional thing you're thankful for?

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
ba13ygrl1987
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:59 PM
I'm thankful for all my electronics... my phone, kindle fire, wii, ds, etc. My keurig is up there. Super thankful for that. I'm thankful my son can now plunger the toilet without me (he clogs it every single time). I am thankful despite having 2 children J still have decent bladder control. And lastly I am thankful for my super soft super warm down comforter. I love that thing as much as my husband. Possibly more on a cold night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2justone
by Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:07 PM
I am thankful for good pens. I hate pens that are hard to write with.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Representative on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:07 PM

I'm thankful for my new Tablet and the awesome hubby who gave it to me. LOL

mem82
by Representative on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:12 PM

i'm thankful that my husband doesn't mind my body after four kids, too. 8)

SunCrazy
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:58 PM
I am thankful to be a sahm it has allowed me to watch all the changes as my ds grows.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jnnfrk
by Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:24 PM

I am thankful for the internet and all the good/bad it brings.

typing

DirtyHippyMama
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Bump!! 

DirtyHippyMama
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Some where funny on there! I can't think right now, too tired! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)