Just For Fun: What Is The Most Non-Traditional Thing You're Thankful For?
Yesterday, I was sent a group email asking me to list things I’m thankful for that aren’t traditional, like: "my family," "food on the table," etc. Other moms on the email tree were coming back with beautiful sentiments about new friendships, the help of strangers, and averting disasters.
I didn’t respond because everything I thought of seemed trite, superficial, and a tad less profound. However, I did write a list, and frankly, I'll share it with you because these things totally deserve thanks in my book -- just refrain from saying them around the dinner table.
1. I am thankful for the dimmer switch in my bedroom.
2. I am thankful that I keep a pair of tweezers in my car.
3. I am thankful my daughter has not lost faith in the tooth fairy, and my son goes along with it.
4. I am thankful I didn't have an affair with the head of the CIA.
5. I am thankful for Homeland -- somehow that red-headed guy is really sexy?!
6. I am thankful for those awesome skinny hangers that make my closet seem bigger.
7. I am thankful for stars like Courteney Cox, Jennifer Aniston, and J.Lo., who make 40 seem not so old.
8. I am thankful for The Voice, but mostly Adam Levine (who I've realized is the Jewish mom's Jon Hamm).
9. I am thankful for the pictures of Jon Hamm's penis that are still circulating on the Internet (even though "Hamm" is not kosher).
10. I am thankful for indoor plumbing and electricity (see Sandy).
11. I am thankful my kids have figured out how to buckle seat belts, wipe themselves, and use step stools to reach things.
12. I am thankful they still ask me to lie with them at bedtime.
13. I am thankful burgundy is the new black -- it's really the unsung hero of slimming colors.
14. I am thankful Lisa Whelchel was on Survivor -- I'd been waiting for a comeback since The Facts of Life (fingers crossed they get Tootie next season).
15. I am thankful that Fifty Shades of Grey brought vibrators into the bedroom.
16. I am thankful for the $20 bill I found in my jeans yesterday -- that's always exciting.
I'm thankful for traditional stuff too, but it's super cathartic to mention the stuff that might get you kicked out of Thanksgiving dinner.
Try it, I promise not to judge.
What is the most nontraditional thing you're thankful for?