Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ohio Moms Ohio Moms

Spoiled Children**EDIT**

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you spoil your kids or do you make sure they appreciate things?

***I meant do you get them everything they ask for*****

by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 6:48 PM
Replies (11-19):
ba13ygrl1987
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:51 PM
I think that's kind of a harsh statement. My children are spoiled and they're definitely not miserable to be around. My 6 year old ds is incredibly giving and compassionate. He's well liked by all his classmates and his teacher. He gives respect. I'm constantly being complimented by strangers. He's an incredible big brother. I can honestly depend on him to keep an eye on his 1 year old sister while I run to the basement. Help play with her, sharing his toys and shows great empathy if she gets hurt. He's a lovely child to be around. Just because a child is spoiled doesn't mean they're miserable or miserable to be around. My daughter is only 1 so obviously her personality isn't as evolved. But she's still very loving. She's friendly and for being 1 excellent at sharing. She gives tons of kisses and already cares for her baby dolls. I can take both my children to the store and get through shopping without whining. I agree there are spoiled brats out there but there are also miserable children who aren't spoiled. It's called bad parenting. You can have wonderful parents who spoil wonderful children.

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

i do not spoil my child at all. i think children who are spoiled are miserable and miserable to be around. no thank you.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EthansMomma2010
by Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:59 PM
The way the question defined spoiled implied that you always give them what they want. It doesn't sound like you do that or your kids would not be so kind.

Quoting ba13ygrl1987:

I think that's kind of a harsh statement. My children are spoiled and they're definitely not miserable to be around. My 6 year old ds is incredibly giving and compassionate. He's well liked by all his classmates and his teacher. He gives respect. I'm constantly being complimented by strangers. He's an incredible big brother. I can honestly depend on him to keep an eye on his 1 year old sister while I run to the basement. Help play with her, sharing his toys and shows great empathy if she gets hurt. He's a lovely child to be around. Just because a child is spoiled doesn't mean they're miserable or miserable to be around. My daughter is only 1 so obviously her personality isn't as evolved. But she's still very loving. She's friendly and for being 1 excellent at sharing. She gives tons of kisses and already cares for her baby dolls. I can take both my children to the store and get through shopping without whining. I agree there are spoiled brats out there but there are also miserable children who aren't spoiled. It's called bad parenting. You can have wonderful parents who spoil wonderful children.

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

i do not spoil my child at all. i think children who are spoiled are miserable and miserable to be around. no thank you.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ba13ygrl1987
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:32 AM
My son has gotten everything he's ever asked for. Maybe not right that second but he has gotten it. Including the atv he asked for this year for Christmas. Despite owning 3 powerwheels. We figure the powerwheels can just be donated to other kids. I'm not saying how I spoil my kids is right or better, I'm just objecting to the generalization. Many children are spoiled and turn out just fine. Many children are spoiled and turn out to be brats. It's a fine balance that lands on the parent. If my child ever demanded an object or threw a fit there's no way in hell he'd get it. But he'll ask politely for Christmas/birthday and if we're randomly out shopping he'll suggest we pick up a new puzzle and donate his old because it's boring. Sometimes I'll get the new puzzle and other times I'll say maybe that'd be a good thing to ask for for your birthday! Or I'll suggest he use his own money to purchase the item. Spoiling kids isn't a bad thing if you teach other behaviors with it. Like compassion, giving, empathy, etc.

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

The way the question defined spoiled implied that you always give them what they want. It doesn't sound like you do that or your kids would not be so kind.

Quoting ba13ygrl1987:

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EthansMomma2010
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:59 AM
Forgive me that I'm still skeptical.

Quoting ba13ygrl1987:

My son has gotten everything he's ever asked for. Maybe not right that second but he has gotten it. Including the atv he asked for this year for Christmas. Despite owning 3 powerwheels. We figure the powerwheels can just be donated to other kids. I'm not saying how I spoil my kids is right or better, I'm just objecting to the generalization. Many children are spoiled and turn out just fine. Many children are spoiled and turn out to be brats. It's a fine balance that lands on the parent. If my child ever demanded an object or threw a fit there's no way in hell he'd get it. But he'll ask politely for Christmas/birthday and if we're randomly out shopping he'll suggest we pick up a new puzzle and donate his old because it's boring. Sometimes I'll get the new puzzle and other times I'll say maybe that'd be a good thing to ask for for your birthday! Or I'll suggest he use his own money to purchase the item. Spoiling kids isn't a bad thing if you teach other behaviors with it. Like compassion, giving, empathy, etc.

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

Quoting ba13ygrl1987:

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CheyennesMommy2
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this
My kids get everything they want and more! They deserve it, but they appreciate what they have. They also are very good kids, they share, we donate toys.

My kids are really great kids, and spoiling them hasnt ruined anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shelly123
by Mshele on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this

We have four children ages 3 thru 10.  They may not get all of what they want but they definitely get what they need, food , shelter, clothing, love , structure, discipline, clean environment(house).  We have an incentive sheet that our school agers choose from if there grades improve every grade period. We started that this year, its good for them to work towards something they want, for example they want things like small flat screen tvs for the room , game cartridges etc, pick a restaurant to go to,  etc.  We want them to learn that working will get you want you want and need that things are not going to be handed to you once your on your own, both of us work,  its better they learn now than to be disappointed later and thats just one of our life lessons.  

sarahbell811
by Sarah on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:39 PM

My kids usually get a lot of what they ask for, not just whenever they want. Birthdays, Christmas, etc...I try not to overspoil them because I want them to appreciate what they have.

momx7
by Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:30 PM
1 mom liked this
This exactly!

Quoting SAHM_USAF:

I absolutely do not spoil my children, including not getting them everything they ask for. No child really needs everything they ask for. They have all the necessities and plenty of toys.

It is very important for children to learn the meaning of the word "no." :)

Incidentally, I am frequently complimented on how incredibly well-behaved my children are, especially since I have so many lol.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
november117
by Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:33 AM
1 mom liked this
Our boys don't get everything they want. They are taught to appreciate what they do have.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)